FS: Raptor Computing Talos II Lite (POWER9) computer -used

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

adaptl

Feb 15, 2024
Hi folks, I'm new to this forum but an IRC friend mentioned this would be a good place to sell my computer. I never got around to using this that much, so hopefully I can find a good home for it. This computer doesn't run on the x86 or ARM architecture, it's actually POWER9 similar to the PowerPC architecture used in the wii or early macs. A couple of linux distributions support this architecture, but you can't run windows on it just as a heads up.
I'm asking for $2000 plus shipping for it (From Gainesville, Florida) and I accept crypto (XMR/LTC/BTC/BCH are fine and we can do multisig if you want).

Here are the specs:
Motherboard: Raptor Computing Systems::TL1MB1 Intro
CPU: Raptor Computing Systems::CP9M31 Intro
Memory: 2x4GiB
Case: https://www.amazon.com/Ceptagon-CP-M1-Vertical-Lightweight-Handles/dp/B07DTCTHF3/

It doesn't accept normal DRAM, it uses a specific type of registered DRAM. Check out this wiki, it has a lot of info on compatable hardware: POWER9 Hardware Compatibility List/Memory - RCS Wiki
If you want, I can install Fedora or Gentoo on it because it can be pretty finnicky installing linux on it since the bios isn't UEFI (the payload is pettitboot). With Ubuntu I found that I had to install a server version of ubuntu and then install a DE from there. Fedora was a similar story. With Gentoo I found that yaboot works well, you just have to set /etc/yaboot.conf in an open partiton (you don't need to install yaboot-bin).
I'll throw in a used keyboard and a PCIE-to-SATA board, a ~120GB SSD and ~1TB hard drive I use with it. It also uses a generic power supply.
It has (slow) onboard graphics alongside the BMC. I've tested it with AMDGPU cards and it works fine, so i would recommend doing that if you use it as a desktop computer.
I am a bit new to trading computer stuff online. I've only sold a GPU+eGPU enclosure to my IRC friend before, so please have some patience while I figure out shipping. I can sell it without the case/PSU if you want (like just the motherboard+CPU+CPU cooler+memory). I will probably ship through USPS, and I'll use anti-static bubble wrap. It's an eatx board so that would be like 12x13x5 inches
Some of these pictures are from last week before I cleaned all the dust off and reinstalled the OS to check the machine worked

Attachments

adaptl

Feb 15, 2024
no its okay, I can share the lscpu and lspci logs as well but I don't know if it will reveal much. I can also try to run benchmarks on it if you want

aloe

Aug 17, 2019
no its okay, I can share the lscpu and lspci logs as well but I don't know if it will reveal much. I can also try to run benchmarks on it if you want
If nvidia hadn't eaten all my spare cash I'd be all over this.

samat.io

Sep 16, 2016
GLWS! I love my 8c POWER9 Raptor Blackbird. Glad I got one before the pandemic, because the prices have been insane since then…

adaptl

Feb 15, 2024
Attached is some more info I was able to get from within linux (lscpu, lshw, etc):

on gentoo, cpuid2cpuflags spits out the following CPUFLAGS (these are optimizations analagous to sse, sse2 on amd64): altivec vsx vsx2 vsx3

Attachments

adaptl

Feb 15, 2024
I recently cleaned the dust off, reinstalled gentoo on it and set up a public minecraft server on it, which is usually a pain because of NAT and dynamic IP assignment. I figure you guys already know this but I had no idea that ipv6 and DDNS basicially solves this which is cool.

GLWS! I love my 8c POWER9 Raptor Blackbird. Glad I got one before the pandemic, because the prices have been insane since then…
Yeah the blackbird is a much more sensible microatx board. I bought this before the blackbird came out, but I figure $2000 is a reasonable price because it's still cheaper than their entry level blackbird and pretty much the same hardware but a bigger motherboard.