FS: PC Case and some components (20 hard drive storage server)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
==== SOLD! ====

Selling my Lian-Li PC-D8000 PC case (which holds 20 3.5" drives) for $400.

More pictures: Lian-Li PC-D8000

Have you always wanted to have a 20 hard drive storage server without investing in a huge, loud server rack? Well this is for you! I'm selling my beloved Lian-Li D8000 PC case which can easily hold 20 hard drives (it's basically a mini fridge and can hold anything). It's a normal PC case but with a large capacity for 3.5" drives. I'm including a huge number of components to make it ready to go. You just have to buy the basic PC components (PSU, Motherboard, HBA card, whatever).

I don't want to ship this thing since I'd have to dismantle and pack things individually and that sounds like a huge hassle. I can hand deliver this to anyone in SF or LA (or on the road in between the two). Will sell for $350 if you come pick it up from Redwood City, CA.

Overall condition of the case is excellent except that the front has some scratches (photo).

Included:

* Lian-Li PC-D8000 ($350 but discontinued)
* 10x Noctua fans (~$200). This is overkill and you can easily recycle some of them to your other systems.
* 6x Lian Li BP3SATA + 2x Lian Li BP1SATA backplanes (~$50)
* Power cables for backplanes
* SATA/SAS cables for backplanes (they are forward breakout cables, SFF-8643 to SATA)
* Custom magnetic dust covers for the vents
* Lian-Li top vent kit
* Fan controller for all the case fans

Noctua fan details:
* 2x 140mm exhaust fans on top
* 1x 120mm exhaust fan in back
* 1x 140mm exhaust fan in back
* 6x 120mm intake fans for hard drives

All 120mm fans are Noctua NF-S12A FLX 3-pin w/ ultra low noise adapters. All 140mm fans are Noctua NF-A14 4-pin PWN

I can give you spare Noctua fan junk (like low noise adapters and spare rubber mounts) but you'll have to tell me what you want since I just have a drawer full of this stuff.

NOT INCLUDED:
* Case casters (they broke in a move )
* PC components not mentioned above (e.g. motherboard, power supply)
* Blu-ray drives
* Hard-drives
* Anything else not mentioned in the "Included" list above. Ignore what's in the pictures!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeggs101

muhfugen

Dec 5, 2016
>Massive case
>1000 watt PSU
>tiny Xeon-D board
lol wut. This also seems a bit expensive when you compare it to something like a SuperMicro SC846

Reactions: Patriot

fake-name

Feb 28, 2017
>Massive case
>1000 watt PSU
>tiny Xeon-D board
lol wut. This also seems a bit expensive when you compare it to something like a SuperMicro SC846
Lian-Li markup.

It is all aluminium, for what it's worth. If I hadn't gone full rack, this would be pretty damn ERMGAHERD

Reactions: altano

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
>Massive case
>1000 watt PSU
>tiny Xeon-D board
I was reusing a lot of things from other builds. I had no reason to buy a new, lower power PSU. You know how it is :)

Building a storage server in your house without racking the equipment is certainly expensive, but it’s also much quieter and easier to cool. And doesn’t require the footprint of a rack. To each his own. *shrug*

Fwiw I gave up and I’m racking everything now, but this served me very well for years.

Reactions: realtomatoes

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Totally awesome. I've always loved specialty cases like this after owning one by California PC Products that has 14 5.25" bays from the 1990s and our original Soyo motherboard in our 486 that has 12 isa slots, which this case is the first I've ever seen that could probably help us use them all (although free IRQs kept us from adding cards more than slots).

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Are those 4 Bluray drives? Do you rip 4 movies at a time?
Yeah, using (a very slightly modified) automatic-ripping-machine/automatic-ripping-machine. Each Star Trek show is ~40 discs so I don't have the patience for ripping my personal collection one disc at a time :)

And this is another benefit of not racking your equipment: I've found no simple replacement for this with my new rack and am just going to move the blu-ray drives to my personal workstation and do things manually instead. So not as cool!

Last edited: