[FS] Lenovo Thinkpad P71

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
Hey I'm just pasting my craiglist post text in here instead of typing a whole new thing. This laptop is really cool, but I need money and have no use for it.

$500 plus shipping CONUS. Laptop had liquid damage to the keyboard, but nothing else was damaged. I replaced the keyboard and of course the replacements trackpoint doesnt work. I didn't mind since I was using it with a mouse. I also took it almost completely apart to make sure there was no other liquid damage, and thankfully there is not. In that process I repasted the cpu and gpu and gave the vram some better thermal grizzley pads as the stock pads were too thin to make full contact. I've tested it extensively and the only thing that does not work is the trackpoint.

Pictures:
I'm selling my Thinkpad P71 machine code 20HK. This is an awesome laptop. It has a total of four DDR4 memory sockets (single 16GB PC4-2400 module installed in one of the slots under the keyboard), two full size M.2 sockets (both support NVMe and SATA), two wifi sized M.2 sockets (one is populated by the Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 WiFi Adapter and the other is meant for an LTE modem card), 2.5" SATA bay, Expresscard slot which can do PCIe x1, Two external Thunderbolt3 sockets, slot for an optical drive if you want to add one, slot for a smartcard reader if you want to add one, biometric finger print scanner, 4x USB3, Mini Displayport, HDMI, and a card reader.

It also has an MXM PCIe GPU socket which currently has a Quadro M620 installed, but you can swap it out with other compatible MXM video cards. There are very few laptops that have this ability, it's pretty cool.

Specs from AIDA64

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home 21H1
CPU Type: QuadCore Intel Core i7-7700HQ, 3500 MHz (35 x 100)
Motherboard Name: Lenovo ThinkPad P71
Motherboard Chipset: Intel Sunrise Point CM238, Intel Kaby Lake-H
System Memory: 16208 MB (DDR4 SDRAM)
DIMM1: Samsung M471A2K43CB1-CRC 16 GB DDR4-2400 DDR4 SDRAM
Video Adapter: Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 (1 GB)
Video Adapter: Quadro M620 (2 GB)
3D Accelerator: Intel HD Graphics 630
Monitor: LG Philips LP173WF4 (Dell JWGJ6) [17.3" LCD]
Audio Adapter: Intel Kaby Lake HDMI @ Intel Sunrise Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [D1]
Audio Adapter: Realtek ALC298 @ Intel Sunrise Point PCH - High Definition Audio Controller [D1]
IDE Controller: Realtek PCIE CardReader
Storage Controller: Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller
Storage Controller: Standard NVM Express Controller
Disk Drive: LENSE10256GMSP34MEAT2MA (238 GB)
SMART Hard Disks Status: OK

Battery Properties:
Device Name: 00HW030
Manufacturer: SMP
Battery Type: Rechargeable Li-Ion
Designed Capacity: 96000 mWh
Fully Charged Capacity: 77810 mWh
Current Capacity: 76370 mWh (98 %)
Battery Voltage: 17.183 V
Charge-Discharge Cycle Count: 292
Wear Level: 18 %

It's possible I'm forgetting some info, this thing has crazy expandability. If you have any more questions ask me. I can also change/upgrade the memory and storage config for the right price.

Reactions: Samir

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
If this had a 7820HQ and a better GPU I would be all over it. I could swap the keyboard over from my P50 and call it a day.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I love workstation class laptops like this. :) Too bad I already have all I need. Might want to post it on the NBR marketplace too as people there will love to see a laptop with an MXM slot:

Reactions: Senses3

Senses3

May 11, 2013
I love workstation class laptops like this. :) Too bad I already have all I need. Might want to post it on the NBR marketplace too as people there will love to see a laptop with an MXM slot:
Huh, never heard of that forum. Doesn't seem to have much activity. I guess I'll give it a shot tho. Thanks

Senses3

May 11, 2013
If this had a 7820HQ and a better GPU I would be all over it. I could swap the keyboard over from my P50 and call it a day.
Yeah the specs are just a bit too underwhelming for me to replace my 8th gen XPS with it. It's too bad because I could really use that storage expansion.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
what is the screen resolution? there were 2 resolutions that I remember 1 was 4K and the other was lower resolution.

Chris

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Huh, never heard of that forum. Doesn't seem to have much activity. I guess I'll give it a shot tho. Thanks
They're the remnants of the huge notebookreview forum that was shut down recently. The community members archived nearly the whole existing forum in html since the company that owned NBR wouldn't give the database, and then they started from scratch. They're still trying to figure out their name too, but it's all the same great people who are hard core laptop/notebook enthusiasts. :)

They have massively detailed threads on almost any laptop that tells you all the caveats and discovered upgrades. I used to go there every time I got a new laptop to see what can be done with it. :)

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
what is the screen resolution? there were 2 resolutions that I remember 1 was 4K and the other was lower resolution.

Chris
I was initially wondering the same thing so I searched the phillips part number and it came back as 1980x1080.

Senses3

May 11, 2013

Chris
The quadro will put out 4k via displayport, I believe it is connected directly and doesn't get muxed with the igpu. The laptop display is 1080p.

Senses3

May 11, 2013
They're the remnants of the huge notebookreview forum that was shut down recently. The community members archived nearly the whole existing forum in html since the company that owned NBR wouldn't give the database, and then they started from scratch. They're still trying to figure out their name too, but it's all the same great people who are hard core laptop/notebook enthusiasts. :)

They have massively detailed threads on almost any laptop that tells you all the caveats and discovered upgrades. I used to go there every time I got a new laptop to see what can be done with it. :)
Yeah looking through they have some cool custom notebook stuff. Lots of MXM love, too bad they seem to be fewer and fewer laptops that use them.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO