FS: Extra space for ASIC crypto miner hosting

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
Apologies if this isn't an appropriate venue for this, I just thought I'd post here to see if I could help anyone out (and I'd much rather work with members here than the types of people you often find on the 'main' crypto forums!). Figured I should post here instead of the crypto subforum?

I bought a bunch of ASIC miners (Antminer S9 and L3+), and was having a heck of a time finding some where / some way to run them all -- so I leased some cabinets at a local tier-3 datacenter to colocate the equipment. The miner power feeds have battery backup (UPS) and generator backup, but aren't redundant. It's a "real datacenter", so is 100% air conditioned/climate controlled and kept fairly cool (low 70's Fahrenheit?), not just some dusty mining warehouse with fans and outdoor air. Basically, the nicest environment you're ever going to find for crypto mining equipment.

I have 3, 42U server cabinets full of my equipment at a datacenter near me in North Carolina, and the opportunity to lease a 4th cabinet (but no more miners to fill it). Based on the power agreement with the datacenter, I have space to host 10 Antminer S9's for someone.

I'll be back at the datacenter this weekend, and would be happy to take pictures to show the existing setup.

I can offer at $160 per month per S9 if all 10 miners came from one person, or a bit more for the extra overhead if you have fewer -- plus TBD setup fees. Let me know if interested!

Reactions: R2GoSolutions

NickM

Jul 19, 2015
Went and re-did the math:
At their rated power (1325W + 10% rated losses with their PSU = 1450W) -- monthly costs of just power (assuming standard 10c/kwh residential rate) is: 1.45 kW * 24 hours/day * 30 days/month * $0.10/kwh = $104.40. Add another 30% for power for A/C to cool them (yes, even in the winter! It was 35F outside and I had to turn on my a/c with just 4 of them running), and $130 at home [did I mention these are LOUD] vs the datacenter hosted pricing really isn't looking so bad.

At current pricing and everything, I don't know that I'd recommend anyone go out and buy more of these miners -- but if you've already got them or on their way and are looking for a way to run them, this might not be a terrible option :)