FS: Dell SFP28 + QSFP 28 (100 GbE) switch - S5148F-ON, Dell R730xd Server, 6x 4TB Samsung Evo 860 + 870 SSD drives

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
Items for sale:
Note 1: Pics will be added of devices throughout the next 2
Note 1: Tests & results will be added for any questions and tasks given, as well.
Thank you in advance

1. Dell S5148F-ON switch: $800

2. Dell R730xd Poweredge: $450
3. 4x EVO 870 4TB SSD left: $265 (nominal usage: I'll be showing total TB R and W)
4. 2x EVO 860 4TB SSD left: $240 (nominal usage: I'll be showing total TB R and W)

1. Dell S5148F-ON switch

- 48x - SFP28 (all tested with SFP+)
- 6x - QSFP28 (no devices to test with).
- 1x - PSU installed / working

** NOTE ** Aside from what is installed and working, and given my lack of acumen, only what I explicitly guarantee can be guaranteed as I lack the the knowledge to test further beyond definitely knowing it works (is tested) for layer-2 (MAC address routing) up speeds of SFP+ (as I lack SFP28 or QSFP28 hardware from which to test higher speeds). If desired however, some are on order and I can test SFP28 performance / SYNC though we're at the percy of the time it takes for said equipment to arrive.

PRICE: $800

(merely selling the fans would recoup the investment in this unit if for some reason advanced features I'm unable to test didn't work).

2. Dell PowerEdge Server, R730XD

Includes:
2x CPUs
2x PSU
Enterprise iDRAC

24 SFF Option: Dell PN: 0PGP6R -- 24bay SFF Backplane
(more info on backplane: www.ebay.com/itm/325187336196)

Not Included:

SSD or SATA Media
System RAM
Shipping
Service Tag: 62GW482
Express Service Tag: 13209998690
Mfg. Date: 20160226

Price: $450

Though the service tag is a good starting point, please request I provide pictures or convincing proof as I'm the 2nd owner.
I'll audit to risk-limit any disparities & show images of those specific features you'd like to have inclusions confirmed.

PRICES ARE FOB LOS ANGELES
I'll Pay extra if req'd for reasonable packing standards.
I'll can also arrange the shipment for you to reimburse.

R730xd: I'll add a second box + good padding (polyethylene) around the inner box for R730xd due to it's weight
S5148F-ON: Ensure it's packed with HQ polyethylene (polystyrene loses 'memory' each time it's compressed).
4TB Evo SSD Drives: I will package these & charge actual shipping if you can't pick up.

Payment:
I'm flexible to any method that'd make a reasonable person feel confident.

Though I've never sold on STH, the community seems tight nit and trustworth.
Despite being wet behind the ears here, I've sold over $10 million via eBay over the years, and have 100% positive feedback on my personal account (Macnanimy, which though I buy things, over 90% of things I've sold are over $500 with an average of perhaps $1,500, meaning, people do not take in strike errors as they might for a $0.99c USB cable, and have sold items that are $6,000 up to $10,000, and have 100% positive feedback in my history here).

While the information below is probably not interesting to most people, sometimes people like to know the history, or why people sell things. As such, I've included those things here ... and you can even find corresponding posts from me on STH that ratify my history of these projects and the "discovery" I made in trying them that's led me to create these listings today:

Dell PowerEdge R730xd:

Intended use was a small mixed NVMe (4x U.2 at 4TB NVMe SSDs + some of my Optanes + and perhaps my 7x 4TB SATA SSDs.

After testing the performance of the SATA drives on my T320 (which was not CPU bottlenecked) I just decided to go to Epyc:

And have since decided to purchase an Epyc R7415 version with 24x SFF NVMe support providing greater flexibility and speed now as well as expandability in the future. In doing so, I'll use my 80TB array to sync all important data. Still, as an NVMe array it'll still have plenty of room for Special vDevs, or any configuration I'd like.

Even using all 7x Samsung EVO 870 SATA SSDs in STRIPED mode (yes, ZFS RAID-0 equivalent) yielded performance (albeit through a T320 but but nominal CPU usage) that didn't even exceed my SPINNING DRIVE array in RAIDz2 !!

Granted, I LOVED how quit and how little lag there was, but the cost per TB cannot result in 500MBs devices performing worse (with less security) than 10TB drives at half their cost! Further, even if it'd worked right out the gate, it lacked the expansion flexibility I already own equipment to use.

Dell S5148F-ON switch, 48x SFP28 + 6x QSFP28:

The problem was after buying the fans and PSU, the notion of having enterprise gear in the same county as me is just too loud (I live in LA and space is expensive; I cannot justify a dedicated bedroom for a Switch this “loud and proud.” Heck, even my change from spinning to SSD in my server is to knock the gurgling spinning drives make which grates on my nerves. After turning down $34,000 in signup bonuses to be in the Nuke program (Navy), I’d rather not export the “sounds and dB of the Carl Vincent to my boudoir.

Further, I just do NOT need (nor even have the (foggiest clue) how to access the Console (Terminal?) of this switch. I’m a Macintosh weirdo, and I resent that I’d have to use a PC if that’s why the Mac applications didn’t let me communicate with it. (I used a serial card in my 2012 MacPro (perfectly recognized) via 9-pin Serial to RJ-45 and just didn’t know what the heck I was doing from there.

Bottom line, I can’t guarantee the console works as I lack the expert to get the link up and running.

But did I mention that the price of this thing is about what the fans cost (and are never less than?)

The bottom line is that I only needed an SFP+ switch and that worked perfectly … and the SFP28 I upgrade to? The only thing that matters to me is how quiet it is; as I only care about Layer 2 routing.

If you live in LA and you want to test the SFP28 ports // the Console // or have a means to test the 100GbE (as I have NOTHING that’ll even get CLOSE to 25GB/s throughput to test such QSFP28 ports … that’d be super cool.

For home lab I've learned my lesson: No telecom gear. It’s too loud, over my head and requires I rent another room with sound proofing to use; (especially bc I have no need for the higher level functions).

I’m going to purchase either a Mikrotik, Ubiquiti or Unifi which uses ambient cooling. :)

Long story short, I can easily parti it out for a little more money bc the fans are required for several models and Dell treats them like they’re a more controlled substance than the DEA treats Fentanyl with their Anesthesiologists.

I’ll pull a fan out today so you can see the PN, and just look up completed listings and how much they sell for and which all units need them. Point being, this definitely makes the risk of getting this system working minimized.

Anyway, the S6148F-ON needs a home with someone far more adept in networking // networking “terminal commands” to get the value from the feature set it offers if working.

6x Samsung 4TB SSD drives with SUSTAINED 500MB/s R/W:

I'll post pictures later today / tomorrow with the TB with the TB R / W (as the specs are everywhere).

Thanks in advance!

Truman

PS, I sincerely apologize for not consolidating all these listings into one; I'd not seen that happen previously and apologize profusely.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
If I screwed up, can you please tell me so I can rectify that quickly without having to read the entire list of rules..?
4. Post one thread only if you have multiple items for sale, for trade, or that you want to buy.
16. You must post which payment method(s) you will accept.
17. You must post which shipping method(s) you plan to utilize and where you are shipping from (state or region is acceptable vs. specific city or zip code).

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
AH! Most venues want individual things on their own thread; this is actually an easier method ... should I revise the items to consolidate them..?

Thanks for the info, I'll revise accordingly!! (I just slept like shit last night, but I thank you in advance!)

Reactions: nihonjin and Samir

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
You can't blame samsung evo for low performance... It's supposed to be that way. They start to slow down and only sustain 80mbps write after certain amount of gb written in burst(which is lower than any desktop HDD produced in the last decade). I've only bought those because i wanted them to be quiet.
Just a reminder to anyone looking: it's a cheaper switch that has the AVR54 bug, for home use it can be cool, but not for production.
@TrumanHW Mt 305 is your best bet, they're really awesome as l2 switches, and with switchOS it's even simplier to work with. Ubiquiti is probably even easier but i personally won't recommend it too much.

Reactions: TrumanHW

TrumanHW

Sep 16, 2018
Can't blame samsung evo low performance... It's supposed to be that way; they start to slow down & only sustain 80 MBs write after a certain amount of GB written in "burst."

@TrumanHW
Mt 305 is your best bet, they're really awesome as l2 switches, and with switchOS it's even simpler to work with.

Re: Evo drives
No way. You should double check the the Evo 860 // 870 stats. They sustain 500 MBs for 100GB+ apparently.
But don't take my word for it: www.tomshardware.com/reviews/samsung-870-evo-sata-ssd-review-the-best-just-got-better

And EVEN IF it were burst on the fast nand (something that's not being introduced to me as a concept) ...
They're transferring just a few GB ... in which, across the set..? Means LESS than a GB each: In RAID-0 no less.
Something is hinky.

Re: Mikrotik Switches:

Yup! Agreed!!
  • I have their 5-port SFP+ L2 already.
  • Just ordered an hAP ac3 (AX wireless access point).
  • Am anxiously waiting for their 8-Port SFP28 with 4-Ports of QSFP28 !!
All of which are very, very reasonably priced and perfectly suited to my situation. I don't need ultra power house shit, I like the idea of having a SIM card for backup WiFi ... I can open it up and plum additional ports for more robust Antennae, and the hAP has a very nice integrated heatsink.

All of which lets me subsidize my purchases by selling gear that should be pretty easily sold ...