FS - Cisco UCS 5108 chassis and 6120xp fabric interconnect

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oddball

May 18, 2018
Have a Cisco 5108 chassis with power and 10gbe uplinks, plus a 6120xp fabric interconnect for sale.

I purchased two sets, looking to sell one set. I'm picking them up in NJ/Philly area next week and could deliver if you're in western NJ, Philly, or really anywhere in southern PA along the turnpike back to Pittsburgh. I live in Pittsburgh, and after next week could delivery or meet in the W PA, E OH area to deliver or exchange.

Looking for $600 for the chassis and interconnect together. There are no blades, but you can find them fairly cheaply on eBay.

You can use the chassis with the blades in stand alone mode. This means each blade operates as it's own server with a CIMC per blade. You don't need a fabric interconnect for that. You can connect the blades to any switch. The 6120xp is a repainted Nexus 5010 with UCS Manager software pre-installed. Using the fabric interconnect you can manage the UCS blades as a single compute unit.

The 5108 can hold eight blades and can run generation m1-m5. M1 and M2 blades are very cheap, $30-50 a blade, they're using the Xeon 5000 series processors. The m3 blades are E5-2600 v0-v2 series and up to 768GB of RAM, M4 blades are E5-2600 v3/v4 processors with up to 1.5TB of ram, and the m5 blades are the scalable stuff, 1.5TB of ram.

The backplane of the chassis can support 40gbe interconnect cards, with each blade pushing 40gbe independently.

I have a bunch of Cisco UCS stuff. The servers are incredible, once you dabble you end up taking the plunge. These are really solid and stable servers. This is a great start if you want to explore UCS.

linuxmanbg

Jun 23, 2016
Hello,
thanks for introduction of UCS 5108 I find what I looked "You can connect the blades to any switch." , thanks a lot.
I am considering buying an UCS 5108 chassis.

Last edited:

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
68db according to specs - so quite loud :)

And if I had the room and money to spare I would definately buy one - watch youtube videos on what you can do with UCS - its amazing and makes _ALL_ other "management" platforms extremely weak in comparison.
In fact it would be a great idea for an article here on STH @Patrick

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Never mind loud do you need a second mortgage to pay the electricity bill :) I agree though its a fabulous set of kit

cw823

Jan 14, 2014
We have stacks and stacks of blades for these with dual e5-2680 and 256GB of ram. But we keep equipment around until the value drops to zero then scrap it :(.

But they ARE easy to source

oddball

May 18, 2018
The chassis is fairly quiet even when filled if the room is in the mid-70s. With fans on high it can get loud, but for us it’s quiet.

Power isn’t horrible. For a chassis of eight blades we are using 1200W across eight servers. This isn’t with CPU’s pegged, but with moderate workloads.

the loudest and most power hungry component are the fabric interconnects.

it’s almost like they power all ports even when not in use.

The system is amazing. We have upgraded servers with substantial hardware changes but kept the profiles the same. Next boot the OS comes up like nothing happened except it has more power under the hood.