[FS] 3x Dell/Samsung 1.92TB 12Gbps Enterprise SSDs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
I just posted this on r/homelabsales, but figured I'd give it a shot here as well!

3x Dell/Samsung MZILS1T9HCHP-000D4 pulled early from production and used in my lab for about 6 months.

Seeing as these are the 12Gbps model, I'm looking to get $500 each (shipped free to the continental US), but would prefer to sell them all at once.

I'm moving stuff around in my lab right now, and will be unloading some Dell/HGST 1.92TB 12Gbps and 400GB SSDs soon as well.

Reactions: Samir

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
If I remember right, HP drives won't let you use the drives in anything other than HP (I could be mistaken). Although I could be mistaken. I remember specifically searching for Dell on ebay and thought the $500 was fair from what I had found. I know the other Dell HGST SSDs I have are being sold for $500 or so each.

However, if I'm off my rocker here, I'll adjust my pricing.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
HPE ssd works in anything but it’s difficult to update firmware when not in a HP server that’s about all that’s a problem.

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
In looking at the going rate for the Dells on ebay, and I'm still seeing my asking price is below the used price there for these.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
In looking at the going rate for the Dells on ebay, and I'm still seeing my asking price is below the used price there for these.
Normally I would not say anything about selling price but o see this 2 ways;
- if a buyer wants exactly these drives for a dell system then it’s probably an ok price (as you have stated)
- if the buyer just wants a 2tb sas ssd then I think it’s well above market price (I would be thinking then $200, Edit: some reason this week there is not much out there at that price)

Really depends if somebody is looking specifically for Dell SSD’s or not as to how they sell.

Last edited:

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
- if a buyer wants exactly these drives for a dell system then it’s probably an ok price (as you have stated)
- if the buyer just wants a 2tb sas ssd then I think it’s well above market price (I would be thinking then $200, Edit: some reason this week there is not much out there at that price)

Really depends if somebody is looking specifically for Dell SSD’s or not as to how they sell.

That does make a lot of sense. I may have better luck on ebay right now.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015

This.

Nomrally can get the 3.x TB Samsung drive oem\branded for $325-400.
Source; I have a stack from ebay sitting here :D

For some reason certain OEM Drives (especially if they're NEW) sell for a LOT more than Retail variants.

Ebay is your best bet if these are rare.

BUT, keep in mind what's listed for sale on ebay != what's selling one bay ;) for that price.

R2D2

Jun 15, 2019
For some reason certain OEM Drives (especially if they're NEW) sell for a LOT more than Retail variants.
A couple of reasons:
  • Known compatibility with PERC raid controllers, tested firmware and ease of firmware updates.
  • When the drives are put into a Dell server with warranty (for drives that are in the part matrix of the server, and the manufacturing date doesn't grossly precede the server), the server warranty will cover the drives.
To people on here, these drives are the exception on both points, they're from a Compellant storage array not a PowerEdge server (and no equivalent PowerEdge P#), and the manufacturing date is so old they're not within any servers 'standard' 3 year warranty cycle. These are also older and more power hungry than newer options.

Here, I'd say closer to $300-350 is more reasonable. eBay, who knows, people sometimes pay crazy prices over there!

Reactions: eptesicus

eptesicus

Jun 25, 2017
A couple of reasons:
  • Known compatibility with PERC raid controllers, tested firmware and ease of firmware updates.
  • When the drives are put into a Dell server with warranty (for drives that are in the part matrix of the server, and the manufacturing date doesn't grossly precede the server), the server warranty will cover the drives.
To people on here, these drives are the exception on both points, they're from a Compellant storage array not a PowerEdge server (and no equivalent PowerEdge P#), and the manufacturing date is so old they're not within any servers 'standard' 3 year warranty cycle. These are also older and more power hungry than newer options.

Here, I'd say closer to $300-350 is more reasonable. eBay, who knows, people sometimes pay crazy prices over there!
Thanks for breaking that down. That makes a lot more sense given that info.