FreeNAS volume has 174,000 files in it. Need suggestions on how to manage the files

Discussion in 'FreeBSD and FreeNAS' started by Alfa147x, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Alfa147x

Alfa147x Member

I had a friend who deleted their ~/Pictures directory so I ran PhotoRec and ended up 173,375 images the root of a volume. Now I believe that most of the files are duplicates and/or thumbnails but I can't mount the volume to view in OS X without Finder locking up.

I've also attempted to dump the largest 1000 images into a folder but then I run into "Argument list too long." errors. Any suggestions on how to fix my screw up?

Thanks!

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I forget why I had to do this before but likely a similar issue... I used command line and moved them based on the starting char. Basically moved A-Z into sub-dirs based on the letter they started with. (Or # for that matter).

3. Alfa147x

Alfa147x Member

So I'm trying something similar. I have a script that'll move batches of files into new folders. Currently backing up the 30GB of images before I run that script. I have it set to make folders with 2,500 images in each which will give me 68 folders. I spent a good portion of my time trying to get it to sort the images by size then move them. That way I would be able to skip a ton of folders.