FreeNas/TrueNas RDMA Support (FR for voting)

tsteine

May 15, 2019
I think the crux of the issue here is that the upstream FreeBSD does not support iSER target functionality (yet)
so they would have to invest time in not only adding support for this in their gui and the freenas/truenas distribution, but also implement iSER in the freebsd iscsi target software.

I think it would be far more likely to see RDMA iSER support in TrueNAS if it's first implemented into the upstream FreeBSD iscsi target, and becomes an issue of simply adding support in FreeNAS/TrueNAS, instead of actually having to develop the functionality for the target software.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well you are correct o/c but they are looking for ways to improve FreeNas/TrueNas in the medium term - RDMA is nothing I'd expect any time soon.

But imho it's *the* next step they should take to get usable speed to the next level and it would be great if they at least saw some requests for that :)

tsteine

May 15, 2019
Don't get me wrong here, I would love nothing more than to see RDMA support and iSER in TrueNAS. Once you pass 10gbit, RDMA starts becoming a necessity to keep throughput high and cpu overhead low.

the somewhat obscure point I was making was that it might be more fruitful to go about getting RDMA and iSER support in FreeBSD through the open source community, rather than getting IXSystems to invest time and money into doing it.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well if you look at how long it's been out there then I think at this point there is no one ion the community willing or able (for whatever reason - funds, time, motivation) to work at it - so I am afraid a plea won't do much good - o/c it couldnt hurt either;)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
I thought FreeBSD already had support for iSER? - but it seems like its only as an initiater - that sucks.

Although:

So it might be possible.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Unfortunately most of the RDMA protocols are only supported as initiator :(
NVMEoF, NFS over RDMA , all only usable as client