FreeNAS Install Fail?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I've got my system already stripped down to just the CPU, Memory, and the USB thumb drives for installation. When I boot from the FreeNAS ISO, it brings up the loader just fine and then the install screen pops up...but then this happens:

FreeNAS Fail.jpg

The device in question appears to be the thumb drive installed on the internal USB connector. I've swapped both thumb drives and I get the same error. I've tried moving them around all of the different USB ports and I keep getting the same error. I'm rapidly starting to think I should have purchased a couple of small SATA SSD's instead of the thumb drives. Am I missing something stupid?

Thanks,

Brian

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Both are 16gb sandisk cruzer fits. I think I'll just get a pair of Intel 320 80gb drives. Way too big but they are like 30 bucks on Ebay arena I believe they have PLP. So mirror those and get away from USB related issues.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
80gb Intel s3500's are good for this too (and cheap as dirt) if you are taking the ssd route.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I get the error even when I have no USB devices plugged in...odd. I went ahead and installed to a spare old X25-M I had laying around. Updating my firmware on my 2308 and on to burn in I guess. Still not sure why I'm getting that error. I'm going to still go the route of a pair of Intel 320's mirrored I think. They are so cheap...why not?

keybored

May 28, 2016
Intel 320s are cheap for a reason, I think. 3 of the 4 320s I owned bricked themselves. I don't think they ever fixed the 8MB bug even with the latest F/W.

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
I use sandisk cruzer fits for FreeNas, NAS4Free and pfSense. They work great. Perfect size for internal installation.

The fact you get the same error without any USB stick hints that your issue is not with the USB stick.

Is it a physical CD or a virtual one? Did you check the MD5 of the .ISO before you burned / mounted it?

There is nothing wrong with using a SSD for the boot drive if you have spare SATA ports, but I would try to figure out what is not working before sweeping it under the rug. It has been my experience that things tend to crawl out from under the rug at the worst possible time...

edit: FreeBSD 8.0 : USB flash suggests you might want to format / erase the USB sticks if they have been used for something else before you tried installing FreeNAS

Last edited:
Reactions: Patrick

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I took you advice and found a pair of brand new 80gb s3500's for 40 bucks a piece. Now I still have to figure out the error message I'm getting during installation. Maybe i should try a USB stick install instead of iKVM mounting?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I usually utilize iKVM so seems strange you would have an issue. Is it still failing?

Jrezz

Jul 21, 2016
I took you advice and found a pair of brand new 80gb s3500's for 40 bucks a piece. Now I still have to figure out the error message I'm getting during installation. Maybe i should try a USB stick install instead of iKVM mounting?
Is it the same error as before regarding umass-sim1, or a different yet equivalent error? Is the Cruzer Fit still plugged into the onboard USB header?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Just tossing out an idea...:)

USB3? Have you actually enabled USB3 support in FreeBSD, or confirmed it is loading support for your ports? Have you tried a USB2 disk?

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
No USB3. I'm going to make sure I have all USB devices unplugged and give it a shot again now that I have my S3500's ready to load the OS for real. The install worked just fine even with the error and I don't see any issues...but I haven't really used it yet beyond flashing firmwares on my controllers to P20 and starting to do drive burn-in.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
Interestingly, I think the issue was related to my IPMI. I was using the web-based interface to connect to an ISO shared on a drive the first time. The second time I just mounted it from the console redirection app and everything worked perfectly. now I have it installed on a pair of s3500's. :)

Reactions: Patrick