FreeNAS and 4Kn Drives --- ok to use?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chilipepperz

Mar 17, 2016
I'm thinking of making a mini FreeNAS backup server with 4x 8TB drives. I see 4Kn 512Ke drives out there. I've read 512Ke is bad because of the emulation. I think 4Kn is OK if I'm reading right for ZFS in general. Anyone try 4Kn drives with FreeNAS specifically?

32TB sitting on my desk... how times have changed.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I'm thinking of making a mini FreeNAS backup server with 4x 8TB drives. I see 4Kn 512Ke drives out there. I've read 512Ke is bad because of the emulation.
This is only a problem with mis-aligned writes, which require the drive to read a 4K sector, put the modified 512 into it, and write it back. You can address this a number of ways during setup (I'm not sure what FreeNAS does specifically - I use raw FreeBSD).
I think 4Kn is OK if I'm reading right for ZFS in general. Anyone try 4Kn drives with FreeNAS specifically?
You need to have a controller that supports 4Kn. Otherwise it will throw an overrun error when the 513th byte comes along. Also, unless you have a fancy RAID controller that does 4Kn on the drive side and 512 on the host side, you need a UEFI BIOS to boot from a 4Kn drive. That doesn't matter if this isn't also your operating system boot drive (lots of folks use a separate drive, USB stick, or SD card as the boot medium).

I'm using 16 * 4Kn drives on my FreeBSD-based RAIDzilla 2.5 systems and they work fine. I just wanted to point out the potential "gotchas".