Found : Lenovo SA120 in Bay Area

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DaveP

Jul 30, 2016
Definitely not for me. The only Lenovo parts are the SA120 and the PSUs. So when you say the fans spin down without using the software tool, is that with no SAS connection or connected to a server? What RPM do you see yours running at when left in the auto controlled mode? On mine, with both PSU's installed and left in the auto mode, all 6 fans settle to around 10,600 RPM according to the utility. That appears to be about the same as the 3 fan speed setting in the utility. When I set them to 1 through the utility, they drop to about 6000 on the chassis fans and a little under 5000 for the PSU fans.

I was hoping for them to throttle down to a 1 with the dual PSUs installed. The temps are definitely fine with the fans throttled to minimum. Chassis temps are under 100F and the disks are all under 90F.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Definitely not for me. The only Lenovo parts are the SA120 and the PSUs. So when you say the fans spin down without using the software tool, is that with no SAS connection or connected to a server? What RPM do you see yours running at when left in the auto controlled mode? On mine, with both PSU's installed and left in the auto mode, all 6 fans settle to around 10,600 RPM according to the utility. That appears to be about the same as the 3 fan speed setting in the utility. When I set them to 1 through the utility, they drop to about 6000 on the chassis fans and a little under 5000 for the PSU fans.

I was hoping for them to throttle down to a 1 with the dual PSUs installed. The temps are definitely fine with the fans throttled to minimum. Chassis temps are under 100F and the disks are all under 90F.
Let's start with power off to CPU and DAS (no cords in DAS PSUs).
  • Both PSU cables are connected to DAS. Queue turbines.
  • After 10-20secs, the fans spin down and are idle. Since I'm not using the utility, I can't say what RPMs fans are currently spinning. But I'd have to say they are at level 1 (when I did use the utility)
  • CPU turned on. No change in fan speed. If the ambient temperature rises; then they'll ramp up accordingly and not immediately jump to level 6.

DaveP

Jul 30, 2016
Let's start with power off to CPU and DAS (no cords in DAS PSUs).
  • Both PSU cables are connected to DAS. Queue turbines.
  • After 10-20secs, the fans spin down and are idle. Since I'm not using the utility, I can't say what RPMs fans are currently spinning. But I'd have to say they are at level 1 (when I did use the utility)
  • CPU turned on. No change in fan speed. If the ambient temperature rises; then they'll ramp up accordingly and not immediately jump to level 6.
Not sure what could be different. Mine operates the same, just that spin down doesn't go all the way down. Just goes from initial jet turbine speed down to about the same volume/speed as setting the fans to 3 in the utility.

What ambient temps do you have in your environment? My lab is currently on the low 70's.

MountainDew

Oct 19, 2015
Not sure what could be different. Mine operates the same, just that spin down doesn't go all the way down. Just goes from initial jet turbine speed down to about the same volume/speed as setting the fans to 3 in the utility.

What ambient temps do you have in your environment? My lab is currently on the low 70's.
Mine's in my garage - 50s to 70s.

I can double check and install the utility to confirm that, at my 'observed idle' speed, the fans are spinning at level 1 and not 3

DaveP

Jul 30, 2016
I definitely appreciate you doing that and the discussion.

Please don't get me wrong though. I'm not mad or anything about buying and putting a 2nd PSU in the SA120. I was wanting to do it regardless, just didn't want to pay almost as much as I did for the whole chassis for a 2nd PSU. I'm actually quite glad someone found a compatible PSU that was under $100. Thanks especially for that!