Formatting to 4096 bytes, does it matter?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jcl333

May 28, 2011
I am building an array with a combination of HGST HUSMM1640ASS201 eSSDs and Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST4000NM0023 4TB SAS drives.

- The SSDs are natively 4096 drives, and will let me format them either way
- The spinners are natively 512 (specs list 512, 520, 528) *BUT* it will let me format them 4096
- I am particularly wondering if this might be a bad thing?​
- I am assuming my LSI RAID controller would not appreciate mixing different sizes in the same array (SSDs used for caching)

I tried A/B with the SSDs and tested performance, no appreciable difference.
I know there could be penalties with small files and possible benefits with large one's, don't know how big the difference would be.
I don't think I have ever seen any storage device that likes being pelted with tiny files.

Anyway, is there a compelling reason here to go one way or the other that people can think of?

Thanks

-JCL

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Formatting to 4096 bytes, does it matter?
"It depends", 4KByte sectors are more efficient, see Advanced Format - Wikipedia
- The spinners are natively 512 (specs list 512, 520, 528) *BUT* it will let me format them 4096
I would not try to format hdds that use 512Bytes NATIVELY, the firmware probably won't recognize the drive after the format.
- I am assuming my LSI RAID controller would not appreciate mixing different sizes in the same array (SSDs used for caching)
I don't know if broadcom raid controller support ssds with sector sizes over 512 Bytes, but adaptec/microchip controllers don't support them for caching/maxcache.
I know there could be penalties with small files and possible benefits with large one's, don't know how big the difference would be.
May I ask what filesystem you use that doesn't have 4KByte as the standard size for chunks/blocks?

jcl333

May 28, 2011
"It depends", 4KByte sectors are more efficient, see Advanced Format - Wikipedia
Yup, makes sense, I am thinking maybe it is safer to stick with 512 especially on these older disks.

I would not try to format hdds that use 512Bytes NATIVELY, the firmware probably won't recognize the drive after the format.
Interesting, I am surprised it even let me do it, I expected it to fail. We'll find out, the format is almost finished.

I don't know if broadcom raid controller support ssds with sector sizes over 512 Bytes, but adaptec/microchip controllers don't support them for caching/maxcache.
I will go through the manual again and see if there is any mention of it.
Broadcom Inc. | Connecting Everything
Looks like my controller supports it, but it mentions CacheCade does not, so similar to Adaptec in that case at least.

May I ask what filesystem you use that doesn't have 4KByte as the standard size for chunks/blocks?
Sure, I will be using either NTFS or ReFS.

I think this answers my question ;-) Don't do it, potential for problems and not a clear tangible advantage.
Good to know.

-JCL

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Also old versions of vSAN don’t like 4K disks (not that it’s being used here)