Flextronics F-X430046 DDR Infiniband switch for US$175.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
There has been a Flextronics F-X430046 Infiniband switch floating aorund EBay a few cycles with the price being lowered each time. It has now hit US$175. I have been very tempted but have a few shipping issues with my local US contact and need to cut back on the 'tempting to haves'.

It does DDR Infiniband (20Gbps). I have the same model and am very happy with it. Only issue, looks like one of the PSUs has an issue but as there are two, for a home setup it is potentially a steal.

Take a look here.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Mine is quiet.... well for equipment designed for a datacenter. I can't usually hear it in my cabinet.

Saying that it is partly luck of the draw and how well the unit has been used and well looked after. IIRC the fans can probably be replaced though if you really need to of it can be run fanless but you need to monitor heat.

RB

Last edited:

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Pair the switch with these $70 cards for some serious speed, seriously cheap: Search eBay for Mellanox MHRH2A-XSR
Some great deals on those at the moment. I grabed a couple last week. Thing is the cables are pricey bompated to the ConnectX cards (US$100+ compared to US$25).

They are definately the best way to go future proofing if the cash is available but for a 'Cheap as chips' setup, the ConnectX cards and cabling works out cheaper, especially for multiple units.

Of course if you have any good leads on some SFP+ -> CX4 cables then please share ;).

RB