Flashing a 12G External PCI-E SAS/SATA HBA Raid Controller Card

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bob4K

Mar 13, 2020
Hi,

My 12G External PCI-E SAS/SATA HBA Raid Controller Card card BIOS takes 3 minutes to boot on my ASUS WS X299 SAGE/10G motherboard.

I read that it might be possible to flash an UEFI instead of a BIOS on this card, but could not find any details specific enough.

Does anybody know if it's true, and if yes, describe the procedure and give me the links for all the needed files?

The card is used to control an LTO 7 drive on Windows 10.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Why not skip the bios all together?
Should be no issue on a HBA which you dont want to boot from...

Reactions: Bob4K

Bob4K

Mar 13, 2020
That sounds like a very good idea, how do I do that? When I power up the PC, the card BIOS booting message is displayed immediately.

Should I type Control-C to enter its settings, or do you think it's a setting on the Asus motherboard?

I already asked Asus for help, but for the moment they have no answer.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
There are multiple How to Flash a Raid Card/HBA in this sub forum.
Follow one to your liking, at a certain point you can decide to add a bios to the flash or not

Bob4K

Mar 13, 2020
Why not skip the bios all together?
Should be no issue on a HBA which you dont want to boot from...
You were 100% right.

There is a setting on the ASUS UEFI that was until now meaningless for me to start PCIe devices in UEFI mode, skipping the BIOS altogether.

The card is not displayed during the boot, so no more delays.

Thanks!

Bob4K

Mar 13, 2020
Yes, 3 minutes less to enter Windows.

I'm not sure yet about the time to wait when logging in.

I did it once so far, and the screen was blank for a full minute.

But that happens often when you change something on the mobo, and then on subsequent boots, there is no more delay.

Next time I reboot, I'll post here again.

Bob4K

Mar 13, 2020
As I thought, second boot had no delay when logging in.

So, thanks to your advice, I saved 3 full minutes by avoiding booting the card BIOS.

Thanks!

mysy

Apr 2, 2020
CHINA
If it was a HBA card, so it not use webbios function ,it should not take init in the boot up state. Check the asus bios, it have some boot option for ext rom , you could disable it , and it skip the external card boot up to save time.