Flashing 9207 LSI Card IT Mode

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by redlinesprint, Sep 6, 2018.

1. redlinesprint

redlinesprint New Member

Hey all. After tons of searching I cant seem to quite figure out how exactly to flash my LSI 9207 (2308) to IT Mode. The NAS server its running in is freenas based. It is a PCIe based card so its not on the mobo. Do I load the efi and rom to a flash drive and boot from there. Or is it more complicated. If there is a straight forward walkthrough could someone point me in the right direction? Help is appreciated!

2. gea

gea Well-Known Member

Have you checked the current firnmware?
    9207 comes with IT firmware per default (9217 is the same adapter with IR firmware as default).

About reflash, see http://www.napp-it.org/doc/downloads/flash_lsi_sas.pdf

btw
    It does not matter if the HBA is a pci-e card or onboard. They behave the same

3. BLinux

BLinux Well-Known Member

if you're just flashing a card that already has IT mode firmware to the latest, or your just adding the BIOS ROM or UEFI, you don't need do it in DOS. You can use either a Windows or Linux version of the sas2flash utility and the appropriate firmware and BIOS/UEFI file. The commands are:

for the firmware flash:

sas2flash -c <your controller #> -f 9207-8.bin

for the bios flash:

sas2flash -c <controller #> -b mptsas2.rom

for the uefi flash:

sas2flash -c <controller #> -b x64sas2.rom

or you can combine them like:

sas2flash -c <controller #> -f 9207-8.bin -b mptsas2.rom -b x64sas2.rom

If you need to do an erase, or perhaps need to muck with the SBR, then you need to do it in DOS or the EFI shell. There are other tools that work at OS level, but they require more complicated steps like unloading the driver, putting the card in reset mode, and then booting the card with firmware, etc., but it's just easier to do in DOS or EFI shell.