First time setting up a VM, got a question about display size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

0v3rK1ll

Jun 6, 2017
So I have FreeNAS 11 release running and I wanted to setup some VM's to use.
I currently have two VM's setup, one running windows 10 and the other running ubuntu 16.10.
I am connecting to them from my iMac using RealVNC.
The only display size available on either VM is 1024 x 768.
I can choose full screen on RealVNC but all that does is upscale it and has black bars on the sides, looks like crap.
So I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to change this.
Like I said this is my first time messing with VM's so I don't know if this is a FreeNAS - bhyve thing.
FreeNAS setup
2 x Xeon 2690v1
192GB ecc ram
6 x 2TB WD red in raidz1

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I still have not gotten around to this on FreeNAS 11. Too busy with all of the server launch stuff. I would love to hear what others come up with. On the Windows side I end up using RDP so that scales display sizes well.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Check how much video ram you have allocated? In esxi I had this issue which I resolved by allocating mjn 8gb video ram to any vm that I use remote console for.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Check how much video ram you have allocated? In esxi I had this issue which I resolved by allocating mjn 8gb video ram to any vm that I use remote console for.
Assuming this is 8MB vid ram and not GB, correct me if I am wrong please.