Firmware Enterprise SSDs - SM1625, PM853T, and others

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

omega2606

May 31, 2022
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update from me. So the drives are now visible in my computer. They are indeed formatted with a block size of 520. To get around this you have to have the drives connected to a HBA (non-raid) controller. I used a H220 which did the job perfectly. There is a utility out there that you can run within windows to convert and reformat the block size to 512. It would be nice to find the base firmware for the drive to remove the EMC off it but I guess I am being picky.

View attachment 28364

View attachment 28365
Hi
can you please write down the procedure or give out the software name for this, I am having same issue, I have pair of drives which are giving similar issue.

CreepingCringe

Mar 30, 2023
Hi
can you please write down the procedure or give out the software name for this, I am having same issue, I have pair of drives which are giving similar issue.
I can do this but it might take a while. So you could be waiting for a long time. The software I used was something called sg3_utils. It can be run within windows.

Before I do...am I allowed to post links to external websites on here?

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
So you could be waiting for a long time. The software I used was something called sg3_utils
I guess since most people use sg3_utils on Linux, the previous poster just assumed that you were talking about some other, less known Windows(-only) app, hence the interest.
sg3_utils is a very well known piece of software and there's plenty of guides on how to use it, including these forums as well.

CreepingCringe

Mar 30, 2023
A second update from me everyone,

In my quest to find non-EMC firmware for these drives so the HPE Smart Storage Administrator can detect ssd wear and life remaining. I did a bit of digging around.

I have Samsung part number MZILS1T9HCHP - 000C3

I did a search on ebay for HPE 1.91TB SAS SSD and looked at the photos.

This one was a match for the Samsung part number (except for the 000H3)

s-l1600.jpg

Now I went looking on the HPE website for the firmware for HPE model number VO1920JFDGV. It exists. So the question now is, how do I put the FW on the drive? I have tried to update it the normal way by using the downloaded executable but it just says no matching devices found in the system. Also, extracting the contents of the exe file gives me the following:

File List.png

I think the firmware is the GP1633D9 file as it matches the model, 1633 and the firmware revision is HPD9.

So now it's just a question of "how" to apply this FW to the drive.

CreepingCringe

Mar 30, 2023
I guess since most people use sg3_utils on Linux, the previous poster just assumed that you were talking about some other, less known Windows(-only) app, hence the interest.
sg3_utils is a very well known piece of software and there's plenty of guides on how to use it, including these forums as well.
Thanks for clearing this up. It does take some doing but it is possible to change the sector size. Using an HBA is the key though. There are raid controllers that say they do "mixed-mode" but this didn't work with me when I connected the drives to my P830. People must also remember to erase the drive when it is on the HBA using the relevant setup utility. I used the HPE Smart Storage Administrator. I put the drives on to my P830 and not only were they undetected, they had an amber LED on them. Moving them back to the HBA, doing a restricted erase and reenabling them made it possible for my P830 to detect the drives. 2 down 8 to go, missing HPE caddies though. I also have about 20 1.2TB HGST HDDs that will need the same treatment at some point, but I'm not so rushed about them.

serverx

Jul 3, 2014
I got some Samsung PM1723b nvme MZ-WLL3T8C (Firmware Revision: GPJALE5Q) and esxi8 cannot recognize it because of firmware version....im searching the following versions: GPJA2B3Q , GPJA0B3Q
somebody can help me ?
Thanks

Last edited:

blunden

Nov 29, 2019
A second update from me everyone,

In my quest to find non-EMC firmware for these drives so the HPE Smart Storage Administrator can detect ssd wear and life remaining. I did a bit of digging around.

I have Samsung part number MZILS1T9HCHP - 000C3

I did a search on ebay for HPE 1.91TB SAS SSD and looked at the photos.

This one was a match for the Samsung part number (except for the 000H3)

Now I went looking on the HPE website for the firmware for HPE model number VO1920JFDGV. It exists. So the question now is, how do I put the FW on the drive? I have tried to update it the normal way by using the downloaded executable but it just says no matching devices found in the system. Also, extracting the contents of the exe file gives me the following:

View attachment 28385

I think the firmware is the GP1633D9 file as it matches the model, 1633 and the firmware revision is HPD9.

So now it's just a question of "how" to apply this FW to the drive.
You might be able to use a hex editor to find and extract the actual firmware from inside HP's firmware file that is likely wrapped with a bunch of other stuff. That's what people have been able to do with Samsung firmware release by Dell. See the link below as an example.

If you manage to extract it, you might be able to flash it with hdparm.

Cozzer79

Sep 22, 2023
I have a bunch of IBM PM1633a's - has anyone had any luck flashing them with HPE's firmware for the same device? (VO3840JFDHA)

skyscraper24

Sep 27, 2023
I've got a stack of SM863a's 1.9tb that i'm trying to actually put the dell firmware on (GD57). I'm trying the SSD ressurection method, and it looks like its working but at the end of the hdparm write, it says illegal write command (via the long sting of binary with the i/o error). any one ever able to get this to work going from generic to branded? I'm trying this because the smasung drives write poorly on dell perc h730 controllers..