File server Windows Essentials 2016

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

river100

Mar 17, 2018
Hi,
We are in need of a new file server.
We're running 2003 standard and using it as a
file server and one management database program.
The server roll is defined as file server.
I'm looking at Windows Essentials 2016 but since
I am not a trained IT professional I'm not sure if it'll
work for us.
None of the workstations currently connect to a domain
and I really don't want them to. I have a firewall that
works great and don't want windows running DNS.

The 2003 setup is as follows.
2003 server has about 12 users on it.
The users have the file shares mapped on their
PC and I can set permissions to the shares based
on their user name and user groups.
All of the PCs are Windows 7 Pro which in our case we
need because of the Virtual XP Mode we use to connect
to the database software, XP OS only for it.

I would like to use a server version of windows but not
use it as a domain controller or DNS server.
My plan is to get new, or newer file server and run the 2003 server
in a VM for the database. The VM is installed and running great.

Can I use Windows Essential 2016 as a file server only ? ? If not what windows server
version would be the best to use ? I don't mind using an older version
I just want something that will run on newer hardware so I can run
a decent raid card.
thanks for any input on this.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Do you have CAL’s ? (Client access license)

2016 essentials should as far as I know work fine with just a limit of 25 users I think it is. You don’t need a domain controller but how do you handle user management ? Just define the user on the server as a local user ?

Maybe a Microsoft expert who deals with small business can confirm what I said but as far as I know should be ok.

Other option for now a lot more $$ is server 2016 standard. Some how ‘essentials is not cheap,

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
It will setup a domain controller, but you do not need to use it. I do that here at home to provide remote access to my computers here at home. None of them are domain joined. But I have full remote access to them.

Chris

Richard Wad

Feb 7, 2017
I'm in the same kind of boat as the op, we need a new file server too. My needs are a little different. I have about 200 users on a Windows 2008 R2 domain server that is rapidly approaching 8 years of age, and I'm being hit with some stringent password changes that take effect soon. We don't do a whole lot with the server other than domain logins and share drives. We have about 8 TB of storage only and are using an HP DL160 G6. It has a single slow L5520 xeon in it.

I have several thousand to spend so I'd like to get a server that will work for another 7-10 years. Currently looking at maybe a Supermicro chassis and loading it up with the low end EPYC processor and ECC memory. Was just curious if anyone likes any current Dell or HP offerings. I am just starting to look around. I might entertain a flash server offering if the price wasn't too crazy.

Sorry to hijack your post river100

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
@Richard Wad you will need either standard server or DC (probably out of your budget) and you will need to watch the processor count as well as the logical processor count (adds server license needs) plus the cost of CALs.

Essentials is limited to 75 users/CALs however you can enable the Essentials experience if you want to use those features

Chris

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Just keep it to 16 cores and use standard edition.
Although low end single processor is generally not more than 16 cores ;)
$800 or so is not a cheap license that is for sure.

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
Keep it under 16c and you are free to go with the standard version. From what I am aware of the file-servers are not commonly required 16c to operate well, so you should be fine.