File locking issue?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

crept

May 17, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I have a small ZFS server VM deployed for a small team of users.
They're constantly working on PDF files from the drives.
I was originally running Napp-it on OmniOS 151012.
All was working well until I upgraded to 151018.

The issue is this:
A user can work on a PDF file (editing, adding comments etc.) as long as they keep on working on it, they'll be able to save the file with all changes.
IF, they work on the file, then leave it open for a period of time, come back to it add some changes, the PDF goes blank, all markups and comments disappear. If they try to save, Adobe gives them an error and can't save to the drives or locally.

Looking into this, I found that PDF files and Excel sheet's experience a delay when first opening. Excel, while starting even prompts you "Downloading...". After this I decided to go up to the latest OmniOS (same issues) and make the jump to OpenIndiana 2017.04 (Timeslider, is really good! But, same issues.)

Doing some further research I found this on the mailing list [OmniOS-discuss] Fwd: SMB file locking problem in r151020 vs r151012 very similar issue to mine.
I went ahead and disabled OPLOCK svccfg -s network/smb/server setprop smbd/oplock_enable=false.
Files now open instantaneously (no downloading). I thought this would have resolved the PDF issue, but no. Problem still persists.

From what I can tell, if the user leaves the file open (in the background) for 30 min or so. The server releases the lock on it. To test this out further, I put some music on the drives and streamed it for a 8 hours to my computer. Zero issues (500mb flac file). If I stop the stream, come back to it about 30 min later, hit play, error in foobar.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Could the jump from SMB1 on 151012 to SMB2.1 on any of the newer distros be the culprit? OIHipster is set to allow guest access to all ZFS filesystem shares and are mounted as user drives on Win10 Pro.

Point me in the right direction? Thank you all.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You should ask this in the maillist illumos-discuss where (cifs) developers are around

Reactions: T_Minus

crept

May 17, 2016
I've posted it, hope someone has some insight on what's going on. Thanks!

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
What you may try

- smb1 (napp-it menu Services > SMB > Properties > max_protocol=1)
- disable nbmand (needed when SMB and NFS is accessing same files, napp-it menu ZFS filesystems)
- modify/increase keep_alive (not sure if that affects your problem, napp-it menu Services > SMB > Properties > keep_alive )