[Fiber] Using dumpster-dived FTTH fiber with adapters, re-terminating it with purchased ends, or buy new? Student/no budget.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
Preface
I'm redoing my HomeLab network, and actually putting my network gear in a real closet because it's loud.​
SX6036 is going to provide 40Gbit switching, but it will now be 12-3m away from the 4x machines with CX314/CX354.​
AOI QSFP+ 40G-LR4 Lite 2km transceivers for $3 each. (Seller has a bad rep on STH. If they don't deliver? Worth the risk at this price.)​
During the closet-upgrade I'm fully wiring up the house with Cat6A.​
While I'm at it, I figured I'd just run some fiber too.​
While planning this upgrade, I did a bit of casual dumpster-diving and hit the jackpot.​
  • 8x partially used 300m rolls of Cat6a. It's the stuff with the stiff plastic cross dividing the pairs. My brother works at a telecom and says everyone HATES this stuff, which is probably why it was trashed. But I'm not going to turn my nose up at enough cable to do my house for free.
  • 60-70x individually packaged pre-terminated fiber. It's all the same. 25ft(7m) SC/APC to SC/APC Singlemode simplex 4.8mm jacket.
  • 250+ SC/APC simplex couplers.
I'm doing this upgrade on a shoestring budget.​
No budget really.​
I'm a graduate student, so I guess it's technically a negative budget.​
I'm just saying, $50 is a meaningful amount of money to me at the moment.​
Spending $90 on 4-6 fiber drops would be painful.​
Plus, it's always good to use "trash" if you can...​

Requirements
  • Transceivers take duplex LC/UPC Singlemode
  • At least 6x duplex links from closet to a single wall-plate. 4-6x more duplex links to adjacent wall would be nice. A few more 1x duplex links to a few other spots would be extravagant.
    • Mandatory link is ~13m
  • Keystones are LC/UPC to LC/UPC in wall-plates and I have enough for a patch panel, but I was going to go straight into the switch to avoid the cost of 0.5m patch cables in the closet. I'd like to use these if it is reasonable to do so.

Question

Is there a cheap way to use this fiber while still having LC/UPC connectors at the ends?
Option 1:
  • Use 4x free fibers with free couplers to create each duplex 14m run.
  • Use existing SC/APC on either end.
  • Get SC/APC to LC/UPC adapters (dongles?).
  • Use current LC keystones.
  • Buy cheap 2-3m LC/UPC patch cables.
  • Cost ??
Option 2:
  • Use 4x free fibers with free couplers to create each duplex 14m run.
  • Chop connectors off an re-terminate with LC/UPC.
    • 4.8mm cable gonna be a problem?
    • I can borrow tools from brother, but I realize it's a whole skillset...
  • Cost ??
Option 3: Shooting myself in the foot for the future?
  • Use 4x free fibers with free couplers to create a duplex 14m run.
  • Use existing SC/APC on either end.
  • Get SC/APC keystones?
  • Buy cheap(???) 2-3m SC/APC to LC/UPC patch cables?
  • Cost - WAY more expensive.
Option 4:
  • Buy premade 15m fiber patch cables.
  • ~$10 to keystone + ~$5 from keystone to machine = $15. 6x links = $90
Option 5: Biting off more than I can chew?
  • Buy a spool of fiber.
  • Buy LC/UPC ends.
  • Cost ??
I'm kinda at a loss.
So much new stuff.
So much to learn.

Last edited:

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
The cheapest way is probably to use your garbage patch fibers, along with these from AliExpress:

SC Couplers ($2 for lot of 10): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000264672582.html

Splice-on LC-UPC quick connectors (~ $1 ea): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004686892345.html

Basic fiber cleaver ($7): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003995068434.html

Basic fiber stripper ($6): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001145754707.html

Or borrow a cleaver and stripper if you want. A pro would have way better tools than those.

You can join your free patch cables together with the couplers, then splice on the LC-UPC connectors at the ends.

It is important to remember you need a "net crossover" on your runs to ensure TX at one end is connected to RX at the other, and vise-versa. Most pre-terminated patches are crossovers, but check with a small flashlight. They are also all simplex, so you'll need to plug each one in separately, in the right place.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
One thing that is scary about fiber is the glass shards, that's why if you ever decide to actually do some splicing on fiber, do it over the dedicated area that you'll properly clean with tape to pick up any potential dust. Those tiny leftovers can be a real disaster and even deadly they say if you're lucky enough to ingest it somehow.
I never tried because of this and because i honestly dont even have time to splice copper rj45, i just buy the right size pre-cuts, same for fiber obviously.

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
I have hundreds of couplers. I was using the wrong terminology in my OP. I amended it.

Splice-on LC-UPC quick connectors (~ $1 ea): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004686892345.html
I was worried that those only work for 2-3mm fiber.
The stuff I have is the thick 4.8mm jacket.
If it DOES work I can do 10 links for ~$45 which is pretty good. (Plus the patch to the computer.)

On the other hand, I'm tempted to get something like this 20m 12 Core bundle for $50 shipped.

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
I found the spec for the fiber I've got.

I'm seeing these duplex kits on aliexpress. 50pcs for $45 shipped.

Thoughts on adapting one to the other?
Might I be able to strip off 2-3cm of the jacket and use heat-shrink to reduce the diameter down from 4.8mm to 3.0mm?
The kevlar should also hold it together a bit even without the jacket?

Does this kit look like it needs to be crimped?