Fiber optic cleaning question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Ok, so after running the fiber in my house, I lost a few of the dust caps on some of my cables. These are all 1.25mm LC connectors.

I planned on purchasing some fiber cleaning accessories anyways, but now I need it preinstall. The plan was to order a basic $30 cassette for the cables and a pen with adapter for the SFP ports. Anyone have experience with the ones that fiber store sells?

Also...I have access through my company to getting a pen but it's designed for 2.5mm SC connectors...but would it still work just fine on an LC? How about an LC SFP port? I could probably get a used one that's got a little life left in it for free.

Or any other suggestions that I should pony up for? I don't see myself justifying a $200 Fluke kit or anything like that, but if the Fiber Store cleaning stuff isn't decent quality, I can spend about double on Amazon for some of the alternatives.

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
I use AFL One-Click cleaners every day. I rarely have to wet-clean premade jumpers since I changed to AFL. My favorite thing about them is the dual-tip, it'll clean jumpers and the port with one tool. Make sure you get the correct one for the type of connector you are cleaning.

pc_doom

Nov 2, 2016
Fiber optic cleaning tool is a basic device for cleaning fiber optics. I have bought a one-click cleaner for SC 2.5mm ferrules, and used for several times, and haven't met any issues. Their price is decent.