[Fiber] Does anyone have instructions for installing this type of fiber connector?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
Preface
I've been planning on running copper and fiber in my home for a while.​
I really need a decent network closet for the hot/loud switches to live.​
I recently made a major score while dumpster diving which included all the Cat6a I will need.​
I also found a bunch of jank fiber and couplers which I believe I can adapt to my needs.​
It is this stuff. SC/APC, which is the wrong connector. And 4.8mm jacketed which is impossible to find field connectors for.​
bad fiber2.png

The Plan™

Reterminate the fiber to LC/UPC and pair it to create duplex connections going into the back of keystones.​
This way I can use "normal" patch cables to transceivers while keeping the wall runs as cheap as possible.​
BONUS: I get to learn how to terminate fiber.​
I'm going to attempt to strip the fiber normally.​
Then strip off an extra 4-5cm of the jacket and use heat-shrink to adapt the jacket size down to the 2-3mm required for a standard field connector.​
I may need to remove some amount of the aramid fiber to reach the desired size, but I will leave it mostly intact for strength.​
I have a LOT of these cables (98 of them) so I'm not worried about sacrificing one to get good the heat-shrink process.​

The Question
How do I use these connectors?
They are BY FAR the least expensive way to get duplex connectors.​
50 pairs with ferrule and duplex clip for $43 shipped is less than 1/3 the price I can find for the normal twist-on ones.​
This also seems to be the actual manufacturer/distributer for these type of connectors.
The other sellers list this manufacturer/brand on their connectors of this type.
They come in 2 size options.​
900um and 2.3mm.​
I believe these are the 900um ones. Which would be the easiest to use since the fiber has a 900um buffer.​
No heat-shrink adaptation nonsense would be needed.​
However, it would leave the fiber unprotected in the wall. I believe these are normally for use in protected breakout boxes.​
900um.jpg
And then there are these ones which I believe are the ones for 2-3mm jacketed cable.​
2-3mm.jpg
Here is a shot of them lined up. (without the yellow plastic labels attached to the metal crimp rings?)​
1000pcs-LC-MINI-duplex-fiber-connector-KITS-SM-MM-OM3-blue-Gray-Aqua-2-0mm-ftth.jpg_.jpg
A benefit to using the 2-3mm ones would be the ability to buy some longer patch cables and chop them up into shorter ones using more of these connectors.​
There seems to be little difference in price between a 1m and 5m patch cable, and those all have 2mm jacket.​
Has anyone used these kind of connectors?
Do they need to be crimped?
Do you know what size crimper?
Does anyone have a link to actual instructions on how to use them?

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
@Sconk I'm looking for instructions on how to use the type of connector I linked. Not just any fiber quick connector.

There are dozens of videos for the screw-on ones, the clip-on ones, and many MANY fusable ones.

I need instructions for how to put together these particular crimp-on ones.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
I think those are the connectors used for patch cable mass production. The fiber needs to be epoxied into the ceramic ferrule, then polished. I think what you want are the ones posted above, and I posted in your other thread. They only require stripping and cleaving. (Basic tools only)

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
I think those are the connectors used for patch cable mass production. The fiber needs to be epoxied into the ceramic ferrule, then polished. I think what you want are the ones posted above, and I posted in your other thread. They only require stripping and cleaving. (Basic tools only)
I'd considered that, but all the one's I've seen in videos that need to be epoxied don't have nearly as much crimping and rings as these do.

The ones you both posted won't work because the threaded part that holds the fiber from pulling out of the connector requires exact jacket sizes.
That's why I looked for crimp style ones, because they have a little leeway due to the compression of parts.

I was hoping these ones could be cleaved to size, then inserted and crimped.
Or, that they could be crimped, then cleaved. (Several manufacturers have these with various names like Crimp&Cleave)

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
OK I see what you mean, the outer jacket on your dumpster cables are the larger outdoor rated kind, I missed that. I've used heat-shrink like you're suggesting, it works but isn't as strong, of course.

I would try posting on r/FiberOptics asking about those connectors. Lots of pro installers over there.

You don't live anywhere near Eastern Ontario, Canada, do you? I have a fusion splicer and we could join all those together and terminate them for almost free.

Prophes0r

Sep 23, 2023
East Coast, USA
You don't live anywhere near Eastern Ontario, Canada, do you? I have a fusion splicer and we could join all those together and terminate them for almost free.
Nahh I'm East Coast US. New England.
Thanks for the offer though.

I'm just getting frustrated because I happened to start the project on the first day of a Chinese holiday, so all my contact emails and messages are sitting waiting to be answered.
It's cool though.

I definitely still want to use this stuff if possible but it barely feels less expensive than getting 15m 12core pre-terminated cable. I've got someone who will sell me one for $48. That's $8 per run compared to $5.25 for using this stuff.

Hell, I almost feel like I should get a bulk spool and make them from scratch...

I'm just going to sit on it a bit until I start getting replies.
I have plenty of other things I could be doing. Lots of holes to be drilled, HVAC stuff to be run, and equipment to be mounted.