FF error on the board, but seems to be working fine - should I be worried?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

extrobe

Apr 24, 2017
Hello, my first post here at STH, though google frequently brings me here in search on answers :)

I have a question about my TYAN S7012 Motherboard, which I recently bought as part of a pre-built server.

I spotted that the board was giving out the code FF on the display. I did a bit of searching on this, and on this board, this usually means a failure to post - faulty PSU, duff motherboard etc being some of the likely causes.

The thing is, it seems to be working ok - I have UNRaid installed and has been running for the last few days, with no apparent issues.

It currently has 2x Xeon L5520's installed, 16GB DDR3 (4x4) and an adaptec SAS Card connected to 4 SATA drives - all powered by a 600w PSU.

I went through some initial diagnostics - moved the RAM around, checked the connections, re-flashed the BIOS and IPMI. Haven't gone as far as re-sitting the CPU's, but do have a couple of L5640's on their way so will be doing this at some point.

The only thing that seems a little out of sorts - during POST, it does come up with a 'Bios Not Installed' message. Again, everything else about the system seems fine - I can get into the Bios fine, configure the array card fine - I've certainly not stressed the system out, but nothing seems to be falling over.

So my question is - is this something I need to worry about? Should I be asking the retailer to take a look at it? Don't really fancy sending the whole server back, but don't much fancy having a fried board in 3 months time either!