[Feedback sought] Enthusiastic NAS build [4.5y usage update 2019-12]

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MacLemon

Feb 16, 2015
Inevitable double post.

The mainboard has returned from SUPERMICRO RMA after almost four weeks.
They did replace it without me having to pay anything but shipping the defective board to them.

They've kept the original CPU heat sink and fan and moved them to the replacement mainboard.

The four weeks of downtime were not mission critical, but even for a home/home-office server they've obviously been annoying a few times. I did poke SUPERMICRO after three weeks and they immediately replied they were still working on it. My sample size regarding RMA with them is very small. (<5) But it seems a little odd that it took 4 weeks in total. Certainly unexpected. Were this a more critical system, that downtime would have been desasterous.

The new board arrived with the latest BIOS, BMC, Redfish, IPMI firmwares and is a different hardware revision as well. That's expected and welcome. The A1SAM-2750F now supports iKVM/HTML5, so now I can use IPMI/KVM from my laptop without having to resort to SUPERMICRO's iOS IPMI Viewer app. The latter works surprisingly well, but it's terrible to type, especially in such a critical moment.

I had to take a trip through the BIOS settings to set everything up the way I need it, which was a simple exercise. Taking note of all the new MAC addresses to set them up on my network. After that FreeNAS 11.2-U7 booted up without any issues.

All in all, other than the downtime, an uneventful issue. I'll conclude with the usual hardware pr0n photo, though there's nothing of special interest to show this time.

Best regards
MacLemon

A1SAM-2750F_after_RMA.jpg

Reactions: Tha_14 and RageBone