Feedback from Dell on the C6100.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Due to an issue with a customer bricking a C6100 node I ended up getting in to a conversation with various people at Dell about these cloud servers. After a bit of back and forwards between a Senior Engineer at Dell and myself and we came up with a few statements we were both happy with that highlight the situation with the Dell C6100s on EBay which have been causing lots of customer confusion and Dell a bit of a headache with support.

Here they are;

• Dell Data Center Services (DCS) produced a number of hardware builds for big clients and tailored them for their clients specific needs on both a hardware and BIOS / Firmware / Software levels.
• Dell produced a PowerEdgeC (PEC) C6100 after seeing the success of the original DCS versions but it was designed and built to a single specification (rather than customer specific variations like the DCS builds).
• The DCS builds most likely have more than just BIOS / BMC / FC differences, but have actual hardware differences.
• Information on these builds is proprietary to the clients they were built for and so Dell is unable to release the documentation or firmware to the public domain.
• Dell will not and does not recommend using PowerEdgeC firmware/drivers on a DCS box, as they do not know what may have been provided for any individual system to the original customer.
• As a DCS build is not the same as a PEC build, it is recommend that the customer verify with the reseller what they are actually purchasing. If the customer needs to be at a specific firmware level (which again does not exist in the public domain for DCS builds) and wants to use PEC firmware, then it is suggested, that it would be beneficial for the customer to receive a known good working system that is running the requested firmware from the seller.
• Dell does not provide any support for Used or Resold DCS systems.
• Dell has released an online document that describes the differences between Dell Data Center Solutions Systems and Dell PowerEdgeC systems and how end users can determine which type of system that buyers / perspective buyers can use to check their units and see if they are PoweredgeC or DCS versions. The link is: What is the difference between Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) Systems and Dell PowerEdge C Systems | Dell US

One more thing to add to this lot is that the C6100-X23-TY3 is a Regulatory Model designation and could apply to either a DCS version or a PowerEdgeC version.

My main takeaways from our discussions are;
  1. Get the service tag and check on Dells site for warranty (found - it's a PowerEdgeC, not found - It's a DCS).
  2. If you want the firmware etc updated, get it done as part of the buying agreement and put the risk in the sellers hands.

I would like to thank the person working at tell for taking the time to try and clarify the position regarding the C6100 servers for the community and potential buyers.

We both hope this will help potential buyers and owners alike.

RB

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
So seeing as the service tag on my C6100 shows up as not found, I assume I have a DCS. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest Poweredge version 1.70 though. The only issues I've had so far is that nodes 2 and 4 load ESXi extremely slow, as in 5 minutes instead of the 30 seconds that node 1 and 3 do.

Does anybody think its worth the while to try and get a replacement from the ebay seller?

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
Yep, I posted in it :) (post #24 - the last one) and that is where this all started and ended up with me talking to people from Dell at different levels until I managed to find this extra helpful person who wanted to clear a few issues up.

Whilst there is nothing stopping anyone doing flashes, they are now fully at least aware of the situation and the risks involved.

RB

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore
So seeing as the service tag on my C6100 shows up as not found, I assume I have a DCS. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest Poweredge version 1.70 though. The only issues I've had so far is that nodes 2 and 4 load ESXi extremely slow, as in 5 minutes instead of the 30 seconds that node 1 and 3 do.

Does anybody think its worth the while to try and get a replacement from the ebay seller?
One problem that may happen is that the sellers may swap motherboards in the chassis and sleds especially if they are getting bricked returns. Two nodes or motherboards many be from a DCS and two from a PowerEdgeC.

What do you have ESXi installed on to (USB / HDD / SDD) ?.

RB

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
ESXi is installed on 4 identical USB drives for all 4 nodes. Even the IMPI loading of the ESXi installer image takes longer. Nodes 1 and 3 loaded in about a minute, but 2 and 4 took over an hour. Same network location, only doing one at a time.

I'm thinking I have 2 different sets of sleds because nodes 1,3 came with the 1.62 BIOS originally while 2,4 came with an original BIOS from 2009ish?

Rain

May 13, 2013
ESXi is installed on 4 identical USB drives for all 4 nodes. Even the IMPI loading of the ESXi installer image takes longer. Nodes 1 and 3 loaded in about a minute, but 2 and 4 took over an hour. Same network location, only doing one at a time.

I'm thinking I have 2 different sets of sleds because nodes 1,3 came with the 1.62 BIOS originally while 2,4 came with an original BIOS from 2009ish?
If they are on USB drives, make sure the USB speed in the BIOS is set to USB2.0 (Hi-Speed) and not USB1.x (Full-Speed). I have a node running ESXi on USB and the BIOS defaulted to USB1.x and it loaded terribly slowly.

RimBlock

Sep 18, 2011
Singapore

Seems to indicate that you have a mixed unit. May not be DCS and PowerEdgeC though, could be all one or the other but built up from various other units of the same type.

If they are on USB drives, make sure the USB speed in the BIOS is set to USB2.0 (Hi-Speed) and not USB1.x (Full-Speed). I have a node running ESXi on USB and the BIOS defaulted to USB1.x and it loaded terribly slowly.
That is a very good point. Fzdog2, maybe a once over in the BIOS would be worth while and compare node 1 with node 2.

RB

Fzdog2

Sep 21, 2012
Can't believe it, but yes those 2 old nodes were set to USB 1. Now they load up in seconds.

briancl

Apr 2, 2013
My service tag shows up as not found, so I guess my C6100 Chassis is a DCS model. Is there any way to know if my nodes are DCS, too? The reason I ask is that I already upgraded the BIOS on 2 nodes without any problems, but I'm currently 1 rev behind. For now, I will hold off on any more firmware updates.

Also, FWIW, I have the PIC16 Fan Controller that came with the slower stock fans and cannot be updated with the PIC18 firmware that is available from Dell. Maybe that is part of the customized customer order for my chassis? I can't detect any other differences. I've since swapped out the fans.