Farewell Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 (I hope!)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Last 2VMs are being exported out of Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 right now. Both VMs are old Linux VMs (CentOS 6.5 and Ubuntu 14.04.1). I found them on the last two Hyper-V servers and could not use the GUI management tools. Making life a bit more challenging, doing simple file transfers was making the applications not work. I also tried updating the OSes before transferring and kept having to roll-back changes.

As a result, I realized it was time to do an old fashioned VM export. Since the GUI tools I have been used to were not working, I got to learn a bit more PowerShell.

PowerShell get physical disks (so I could find a good export path for the VMs):
GET-WMIOBJECT –query “SELECT * from win32_logicaldisk

Export-VM -Name “Vm-name-to-export” -Path "Path/to/export/folder"

I was then able to export them to shared folders and download. Easy enough but still much harder than Linux.

Reactions: whitey

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
HA, nice, I just finished a jam session moving my work VM image from VMware workstation on Linux to straight up KVM on Linux (work laptop refresh time, serious horsepower in this new workstation lappy, i7-4810MQ/8 cores @ 2.8 GHZ, seeing turbo clock uptick to 3.3 GHZ, 32 GB memory).

Pretty darn happy, qemu-img to the rescue to take my vmdk's to qcow2 vdisk images.

Code:
qemu-img convert -O qcow2 NGWin7x64.vmdk NGWin7x64.qcow2