Fans full speed in Supermicro X9DRi-F system

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

r1ntse

May 7, 2020
The problem:
CPU fans stay at full speed at all times.

Details:
System worked perfectly until 3 days ago. This behaviour appeared suddenly at boot.
The fan speeds persist while in OS.

Attaching a fan to headers 1-6 (CPU fans) results in said fan running at full speed.
Attaching a fan to headers A/B (system fans) results in normal fan behaviour.
Changing the fan mode in IPMI only affects the system fan headers.
The fan thresholds are all set correctly, and thus are not the cause for the fan speed.

All sensors log normal values in IPMI, except the case intrusion sensor. It constantly detects intrustion.
My case does not have an intrusion sensor, and thus I have this pin shorted.

IPMI "reset intrusion" button does not help.
BMC reboot does not help.
BMC factory defaults does not help.
BMC reflash (without keeping settings) does not help.
Removing the sensor from the data record using ipmicfg -sdr del sensor does not help.

The problem persists when I prop up the motherboard on an anti-static bag, indicating there is no physical short caused by the case.
When I disconnect AC, remove the CMOS battery, and reconnect AC, I immediately get an intrusion in the event log.

At this point I am fairly certain it's the intrusion sensor that causes the fan speed. I am now mostly wondering whether the sensor can be fixed, or whether there is a way for the BMC to ignore the sensor when it decides fan speeds (which ipmicfg -sdr del sensor does not do).

The hardware en software:
2x Xeon e5-2670
Supermicro X9DRi-F
  • BIOS version 3.3
  • BMC version 3.54
16x 4GB PC3-12800R
Seasonic Focus+ 750W Gold

Reactions: HorizonXP