Fake IBM Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
Hi all,

I just want to inform everyone to be careful about buying fake Intel-based network cards.

Here are some photos for everyone to check for the telltale signs that the card is fake.

I did not buy these two cards from eBay; I bought them locally from an online platform.
I did not notice it was fake, until one day, I tried to run it and there were no LED lights turning on at the back plate.
So I learned a lesson now, to spot the fake ones.

Good luck. :)

IMG_20230522_232846.jpgIMG_20230522_225736.jpgIMG_20230522_225730.jpgIMG_20230522_225827.jpg

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Would anyone really bother to make fake versions of these?

Don’t they go for around $5 these days?

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
What's on the back of the card?

And for fun, is this one a real or a fake?
Hmmm....don't think so, I can see the Intel logo has got a small "R" printed.
But I can see the word "China" printed, it could be a reburnished one, but not 100% sure.
If it is not working, it is fake, that is for sure.
Any hologram sticker at the back?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
It's a nightmare when it comes to separating the fake from the real cards.

One of the tricks used in the past to identify real cards, were to run a nail or something over the delta made chips (I think they are referred to as chokes, but I could be wrong here), if you could feel actual embossing it was a good indication that it was real, as opposed to fake ones that just had it printed on (meaning no textural difference).

Of course this is only relevant if the card uses these Delta made chips. Notably I believe Supermicro uses WE-MIDCOM chips.

What I look for when it comes to finding non-fake used cards is:
  1. Attempt to buy cards from other vendors than Intel (but may still use the same controller), such as from Silicom, Fujitsu or Supermicro
    1. Theory behind this is that counterfeiters may be more likely to make fake cards of Intels and those vendors might get spared
  2. Buy from reasonable vendors that ideally have a known track record for selling stuff they have bought from good sources (such as companies that are decommissioning their hardware or stuff that has been returned from a lease)
  3. Never buy anything directly from China (that you care about not being fake)

Granite

May 20, 2023
Hmmm....don't think so, I can see the Intel logo has got a small "R" printed.
But I can see the word "China" printed, it could be a reburnished one, but not 100% sure.
If it is not working, it is fake, that is for sure.
Any hologram sticker at the back?
It's the real deal. Some have the Pulse transformers and others have the Delta transformers. Just because the transformer was made in China doesn't make the card a fake.

The markings on the heat sink bracket also vary.

The IBM cards don't come with holograms. They look like this on the back.

I know the chain of custody of these cards, and they're not refurbs.

Sometimes you can't see a ©

The labeling can vary based on it being a FRU or a P/N.

I think you just have a defective card.

Reactions: mach3.2 and wepee

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
It's the real deal. Some have the Pulse transformers and others have the Delta transformers. Just because the transformer was made in China doesn't make the card a fake.

The markings on the heat sink bracket also vary.

The IBM cards don't come with holograms. They look like this on the back.

I know the chain of custody of these cards, and they're not refurbs.

Sometimes you can't see a ©

The labeling can vary based on it being a FRU or a P/N.

I think you just have a defective card.
Thanks for uploading & sharing out the pictures of your NICs.

Yup you could be right.

BTW, all your cards are working fine, right?

Reactions: Granite

wepee

Feb 11, 2020
It's a nightmare when it comes to separating the fake from the real cards.

One of the tricks used in the past to identify real cards, were to run a nail or something over the delta made chips (I think they are referred to as chokes, but I could be wrong here), if you could feel actual embossing it was a good indication that it was real, as opposed to fake ones that just had it printed on (meaning no textural difference).

Of course this is only relevant if the card uses these Delta made chips. Notably I believe Supermicro uses WE-MIDCOM chips.

What I look for when it comes to finding non-fake used cards is:
  1. Attempt to buy cards from other vendors than Intel (but may still use the same controller), such as from Silicom, Fujitsu or Supermicro
    1. Theory behind this is that counterfeiters may be more likely to make fake cards of Intels and those vendors might get spared
  2. Buy from reasonable vendors that ideally have a known track record for selling stuff they have bought from good sources (such as companies that are decommissioning their hardware or stuff that has been returned from a lease)
  3. Never buy anything directly from China (that you care about not being fake)
:) I guess there is no concrete way to find the real thing.

Yup, I bought it from a vendor who sells decommissioned HP and Dell enterprise hardware online.
But could not figure out, if it was a real or defective card.
What led me to believe it was a FAKE card was, the printing: Intel registered trademark was missing.
After @Granite shared his stock of NICs, now I think it could a defective card.

Last edited: