Extreme bad luck with SFF-8087 to 4xSATA cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
I'm building a "new" home server with an ASrock C2750D4I in a Silverstone 12 Bay 2U rack case
The case has a backplane with 3x SFF-8087 SAS connectors.
The C2750D4I has 12x SATA ports, cool, what could go wrong?

Well, I have like 10x different SFF-8087 to 4xSATA cables (from several brands) but only a single one model out of all of them does actually work and allows the disks to show up, with all the others there is no sign of life in the disks, they don't even spin, like the cable is not even there.

Now, I understand I'm unlucky sometimes, but there is no way 9 cables out of 10 are defective, there must be a specific, technical reason why only one model works
I also tried to connect the "defective" cables to different controllers (the C2750D4I has 3 SATA controllers) but no way, no signs of life whatsoever.
BTW I'm not even sure if the picky part is on the SAS backplane side or the mainboard...

Any clue what could be the cause?
I'd be fine to buy a few new cables, but I'm pretty sure they will not work as the others

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
uhm, ok, seems that even if visually they look identical, Mini SAS SFF-8087 > 4 x SATA can have different pin assignment based on their purpose of use, the pinout to connect backplane to SATA ports is different than the one used to connect a controller to disks.
I basically need a "reverse breakout" variant.

I think this can be closed, hope it will be helpful for someone in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: itronin and nexox