Extra server to compliment my C6100 setup.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Utking

Nov 12, 2016
Hi guys!

I almost got my C6100 up and running! Still struggling a bit with small file performance in glusterfs, but that's for another time^^

I'm also currently involved in setting up 4 r430, and 3 r630 with an openstack setup which i have no idea how to do, but thats also a bit off-topic :p

Anyways! I was thinking of maybe setting up openstack at home, and i'm on the outlook for another server to my C6100, maybe to set up as maas region controller, but what server should i choose?

Would the best be to with another C6100, or should i go for a R710, R610 etc?

It needs to be good for my setup, but i don't mind something fun to play with either ^^

Thanks guys!

Utking

Nov 12, 2016
What is a fair price to pay for a R710 or R610 with around 16-32gb ram, and l5640? :)

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
What are your needs? I don't get why the R710 is so popular since it doesn't have much in the way of storage capability unless you intend to only use SFF drives. The R610 makes a little more sense.

If you plan to only use it as a compute node or something, R610 is okay, I would go as cheap as you can on a barebones build then just get parts separately. It has 2 slots for expansion + 1 internally for HBAs so you should be able to get by there.

Otherwise I'd just get a barebone Supermicro 2U 12x3.5"(CSE-826) chassis and do a build with a cheap Supermicro X8 board (or LGA2011 if you can find it cheap enough). Has plenty of space for bulk storage in 2U or you can just use the slots for SSDs with adapters.

Utking

Nov 12, 2016
What are your needs? I don't get why the R710 is so popular since it doesn't have much in the way of storage capability unless you intend to only use SFF drives. The R610 makes a little more sense.

If you plan to only use it as a compute node or something, R610 is okay, I would go as cheap as you can on a barebones build then just get parts separately. It has 2 slots for expansion + 1 internally for HBAs so you should be able to get by there.

Otherwise I'd just get a barebone Supermicro 2U 12x3.5"(CSE-826) chassis and do a build with a cheap Supermicro X8 board (or LGA2011 if you can find it cheap enough). Has plenty of space for bulk storage in 2U or you can just use the slots for SSDs with adapters.
Hmm, it's true what you say about storage though! i don't know, maybe it's the fact that they look kind of cool..

But for that price i could get another c6100 with 4 motherboards ^^ wouldn't that be a better option? also i could do what i've done with the one i have now, wire 6 hdd's to each node, and run glusterfs on them. Although i'm struggling a bit with performance:/ ooor i could just connect all 12 of them to one motherboard and loose the hot swap ability on it :)

What are you thoughts? i was thinking of using the R710 as a controller or something, and i don't want sff tbh :p