Expanding Home Rack (SAS?DAS?FC?SAN?) HELP lol

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Levi

Mar 2, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm looking to expand the storage on my home Lab. The reason is I need more storage for files and backups, and I would like to be able to play with different hypervisors, and I now understand that most have a requirement for how they see that storage (block level instead of file level). I'm looking for some ideas on the best way to go about this. Cost/value is my primary concern.

Right now I have a 42u ancient server cabinet but it works. (It doesnt have square holes so none of my server rails fit it =(.
A 16 port patch panel I have yet to terminate. I'll switch it out for a 48p one before I do.
A quanta lb4m switch.
3x Quanta S44 Servers. I use one as my gateway with ClearOS, the other 2 I use for testing so I really want to cluster vm's on Hyper-v and Proxmox. I would use Centrix or ESXI if it was free. I love these little servers.
I have a DellPE2950. This thing is currently loaded with SSD's and they are way too fast for it. I think my best bet would be to take one of my newer consumer MB's and make a NAS out of that instead of the PE.
I got a APC 1400xl for batter backup and power filtering.
I use a cheap N router in Access point mode for my WIFI.

I got 3 Desktops,2 laptops, phones and tablets in my home LAN. Also about 5 VM's I keep up 24/7 on the PE.

So any who.... I see alot of FC storage and SAS on Ebay, some of it pretty cheap. Alot of the FC stuff has 4tb or more of storage for less than $150.

The SAS is all over the place but some of it is under $200 and comes with drives as well.

What would you guys recommend to expand my Storage for my home Lan and Lab? Cheap and being able to either make "LUNS" or iSCI targets with my PE are my biggest concerns. I don't think I can afford SAN but I have seen some articles online about building a poor man's SAN.

My wishlist for my home rack down the line is a 1u server for my CLearOS install (maybe Pfsense) (lots of ram for DNS/proxy caching).
A layer 3 Switch.I really want inter vlan routing so I can break my 2 labs up in different subnets and my home LAN. Or maybe a cisco router with several GigE.
Also another switch with a ton of 10Gb ports.

Thanks,
Levi

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
FC and SAS = nearly impossible to find continuous, reliable source of 'cheap/affordable' hard drives for and why most home users go SATA.

Most NAS software suggest ECC RAM so a consumer board may work, if it supports ECC & the CPU supports it too... they do, but it's not extremely common unless purpose built/purchased.

FYI - My synology ATOM can max 1Gig with iSCSI -- you don't need much power :)