Expanding a RAID virtual drive with another disk

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MartiniGM

Jul 29, 2016
Hi Forum,
seems the collected knowledge can answer pretty much any question related to hardware raid controllers... I have also noticed that a lot of people doesn’t like hardware controllers at all... :)also I am using Windows.. and a lot of people hate that as well :) but here is my question...'

I had a 9 disk, 12 tb, raid 6, windows partition @ apx 77 TB. It pretty much equals to raid-calculator.coms estimate of 9 x 11 tb capacity.

And I have started a raid6 -> raid6 expansion adding another 12 tb spare disk. Now I have waited like... forever for the 9460-16i to finish the migrate..

So the question is: before and during the migration the capacity in Computer Management -> Disk Management is the initial 76 tb.

But when the migration is finished.. can anyone tell me if the disk in Computer Management -> Disk Management will increased from apx 77 to apx 88 tb AND.. if the disk has increased in size.. then I can hopefully increase the size of the partition accordingly?

I've also enclosed a screenshot: When "pink" is finished... can "green" be expanded to an apx 88 tb partition? (hope that didn't offend anyone who knows the answer :confused:)

For my future OCD-s sake.. I hope someone could help me with this question :)

AAAScreenshot 2023-04-21 025318.png

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
Yes, the X: drive basic partition can be extended to use all the new space, once the migration is done. I would avoid converting it to a Dynamic partition.

Reactions: MartiniGM

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
When "pink" is finished... can "green" be expanded to an apx 88 tb partition?
It depends on the chunksize and Filesystem that was used for the Partition:
4kb and ntfs-> max 16tb Partition
64kb and ntfs-> max 256tb partition
4 or 64kb and refs-> "No Limit"

See NTFS overview

Edit: add source

Last edited:

j_h_o

Apr 21, 2015
California, US
(Yeah. Given current size of the partition, I didn't think the additional drive was going to push it over any of these limits, right?)