Expand Existing Raid5 w/ larger disks on HP Proliant G6 DL380

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by methos, Mar 5, 2019.

1. methos

methos New Member

My ESX 6.5 vhost is running out of space. I thought using ZFS in past, swap smaller drives with bigger allow to resilver and keep replacing drives and it's done. Well....not sure my HP Proliant can....anyone with experience?

I have a HP Proliant G6 DL380 w/ (5) 146gb SAS drives (RAID5) on Smart Array P410i. I purchased (5) 600gb drives. Any chance my theory will work?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. TechJunky

TechJunky New Member

Haven't tried with that big of drive's. Have done 72gb to 140gb many times at work.

3. Haitch

Haitch Member

yes you can. Replace a drive at a time, let the array rebuild. Once all the drives have been replaced you'll be able to expand the array - I've not done it in conjunction with ZFS, but your theory works for expanding the array - you should be able to either expand the logical drive, or create another.