EU: beaware ComputerSalg are selling Seagate Exos 7E8 drives which are marketed for CHINA only

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azee

Jan 7, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
We caught up in a problem where ComputerSalg.se / ComputerSalg.dk are selling Seagate Exos 7E8 drives which are marketed for CHINA only, even at Seagate warranty site they are saying that, “Regional warranty restriction apply.”

“This product was originally sold in a different region. Warranty claims may not be accepted.”

Now I am not sure what are my options, ComputerSalg are not communicating in a helpful manor.
these are new drives

Any advice?

Attachments

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Are they cheap? Keep them, the drives don't know that they are not in china.
Did you pay the full price/non grey market price? Return them and buy from an seagate approved partner/shop.

azee

Jan 7, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
HI, about 25-50 US dollar cheaper than market price, and yes , We pay the full price of about 250 euro per drive, which is cheaper than Iron wolf for 8 TB drive. And that was the reason we went with Exos.

but IF Seagate don't honor the warranty in EU, then these drive are no useful then paper weight.

for reference ComputerSalg is big distribute in northern Europe, so doing such price is very shady business practice.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
This is a case where you may need to self warranty. buy enough cold spares with the discount to make up for a real warranty.

Not always recommended... but a thought.

Chris

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
you can claim your warranty where you bougth the product. within 2 year they are obligated to replce it with working example of the product. after 2 years i would say: good luck

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
similar issues in Germany with seagate drives sold by mindfactory and i have heard of Amazon US cases too.

Not drives meant for china but OEM without warranty, or taken from external usb cases*?

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
He did buy them "new" labled as genuine seagates wthout any indication that those were shacked.
It might just be the case that those too, are oem drives, the support person was just unable to explain that and came up the shacked explanation.

So to reitterate, he did not shack the drives.
He thought he bought genuine with 5y warranty, turns out, no warranty.
Since Mindfactory isn't stating the amount of warranty, they didn't really advertise it wrong.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
well, according EU-law you have at least 2 year warranty, no matter what the seller advertises. period !!

but because this is from sweden, i can't tell if EU-law also applies in sweden (or denmark)