ESXI Server w/ NAS (trying to save power)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MSF_Reaper

Mar 2, 2017
Northwest Indiana
www.zlittell.com
I recently asked for some assistance in the CPU and MB section. I was looking to expand my NAS but avoid the near 200w idle consumption of the DL380G5 I planned on putting back into service. With the help of some forum members I picked out some parts and placed a bunch of ebay orders, a large Newegg order, and a small order to sfbayzfs on here.

Here is my final ordered component list:
  • (1x) Xeon E3-1265L V2
  • (1x) Supermicro X9SCL+-F
  • (1x) Dell PERC H310
  • (4x) 8GB ECC UDIMM
  • (2x) Intel SFF-8087 Breakout Cable
  • (1x) Norco RPC-2008
  • (1x) RL-26 Rail Kit
  • (1x) SeaSonic SS-400L2u 400w PSU
  • (1x) Kingston A400 120GB SSD
  • (2x) WD RED 3TB (already have 2 of these drives
  • (2x) NavePoint Rackmount Sliding Shelves (one for laptop sitting and one for modem, router, USB backup drive, etc)
The last of my parts came in yesterday. The parts from sfbayzfs were awesome and so well priced so I thank them dearly for that!

The biggest issues I have come across so far:
  • The IO Shield is too small and has these threaded screw holes in them. Assuming this is a proprietary Supermicro thing.
  • The Norco case seems to be a new revision. One of the things that it has now is 1 USB3.0 in addition to the 1 USB2.0. This isn't a bad thing, but I just need to decide what to do with it. (Leave it unplugged, buy a converter, or place a 3.0 pcix card in the board.)
  • The new revision case uses quick connect slide and snap in fans. So they just slide down and click in like a normal server would. This is awesome, however, they seem to be powered by 4pin molex still so there is no PWM. There is a second header, but norco has zero documentation and I have no clue what this header does. Might have to rip this whole setup out and just mount regular 4 pin fans in there.
  • Didn't notice that my version of the MB has 6 SATA2 and not 2/4 configuration. This won't be a huge bottle neck on the SSD but still just a little saddening. I probably won't notice the difference though.
  • Accidentally bought H310 with full size slot plate. Was considering modeling up one and 3d printing it but $4 shipped from china and when I get it I get it didn't seem worth my efforts with the micrometer.
  • CPU cooler shipped with MB is passive version. Shouldn't really be an issue with the current cpu selection, but we will see.
  • RL-26 Rails look nothing like what I saw in all the youtube videos I could find. The no longer use a stamped plate. They are ball bearing though still. Looks like it will "hang" on 1 and 3 square mounts and then a plastic piece with a threaded metal center goes through square 2 and a screw secures it.
  • Misread the description on my sliding shelves... They are stationary haha. Will be fine for modem, router, backup drive, etc. Obviously won't work as laptop shelf but not the end of the world.
IMG_0321.JPG IMG_0322.JPG IMG_0324.JPG
I did forget to save the picture of how far I got with putting everything in the case. Should find time to finish the build in the next few days.
-ZACK-

Last edited:
Reactions: K D

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Very cool! Thanks for keeping us updated, anddddddddddddd posting pics!

I would personally swap the passive heat sink to one with a fan that pushes air out 'back' / direction the fans in the chassis go.
This should be cheap to do, and worth it.

acquacow

Feb 15, 2017

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
Ive been running my unRAID NAS as an esxi guest for years. Lots of extra capacity and one less physical box to worry about.