ESXi seemingly isn't seeing trunked frames from a switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
Jun 2, 2021
Hi all,

I've got a weird situation where ESXi 8 seems to not be getting trunked frames from my core switch, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction or point out what I'm missing. I've done this before but.. something weird happening here I think. TP-Link seems to have changed their firmware on newer switches (I just bought new devices), I'm wondering if I'm missing something there.

ESXi box:
Intel NUC 11 Pro NUC11TNHi50L
2x i225-LM 2.5g NICs
ESXi 8
Hosts an OPNsense VM that is my edge, and where VLANs are intended to be routed.

Core switch:
TP-Link TL-SG2210MP

Tertiary switch:
TP-Link TL-SG2008P

connection path is WAN <-> NUC (OPNsense VM) <-> (Core) TL-SG2210MP <-> (Office) TL-SG2008P

I'm trying to get VLAN 1000 working all the way through the network.
I've successfully got it trunked between the switches, I can see the laptop on that VLAN arp-ing on both switches, as well as seeing the MAC in the MAC Address table on both switches, in the appropriate VLAN.

In ESXi, I setup a VM on VLAN 1000 as a test, and I can get internet through the firewall, but can't talk to anything outside the ESXi box.

My connection issue seems to be where the core meets ESXi.

Here's the config of the uplink to ESXi:

Code:
sw-core#show running-config interface gi 1/0/1                               
!TL-SG2210MP
interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/1
  description "Uplink to ESXi"
  switchport general allowed vlan 1000 tagged
  vlan_trunk
  spanning-tree common-config portfast enable
  spanning-tree guard loop

power inline supply disable
#
For reference, a working trunk between the two switches:

Code:
sw-core#show running-config interface gi 1/0/8                               
!TL-SG2210MP
interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/8
  description "Uplink to Office switch"
  switchport general allowed vlan 1000 tagged
  vlan_trunk
  spanning-tree guard loop

power inline supply disable
#

The vSwich for ESXi is configured as:
MTU 1500
Link Discovery: Both / CDP
Route based on originating port ID
Promiscuous mode, forged transmist, and MAC changes were all allowed as troublehooting. Those are off currently.

Edit: Port groups that exist:

4095 (trunked)

OPNsense lives on the 4095 Port group.
Any VLANs that exist on the ESXi host can talk successfully, and hit the internet.

Any thoughts? the NUC and core switch are in a pretty inconvenient location, so I haven't taken a pcap coming out of the core yet.

Last edited:

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
You haven't provided any network config for the host itself. What's your port group setup?

Jun 2, 2021
You haven't provided any network config for the host itself. What's your port group setup?
I’ve got some port groups configured for some VLANs (1000, 53, 20) and the OPNsense VM is on a port group configured as id 4095.

these can all talk to each other locally on ESXi

Railgun

Jul 28, 2018
So the VM was associated with the port group for VLAN 1000? Does any other VM where you're explicitly tagging for VLAN1000 work (such as the FW)?

Jun 2, 2021
So the VM was associated with the port group for VLAN 1000? Does any other VM where you're explicitly tagging for VLAN1000 work (such as the FW)?

Yes. VLANs work fine as long as communication is on the ESXi box itself.

Once we need to exit the ESXi box and talk to something on the core or office switch, that’s the failure point.

Last edited:

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Yes. VLANs work fine as long as communication is on the ESXi box itself.

Once we need to exit the ESXi box and talk to something on the core or office switch, that’s the failure point.
It seems like the problem is with the uplink port to ESXi

Have you tested getting IP for PC connected on core switch with port tagged vlan 1000?

I had similar issues trying to get vlan working where devices are not getting IPs. I had trunked the wrong port. Lesson learned to not just label the cables and ports but also in the switches too.

Jun 2, 2021
It seems like the problem is with the uplink port to ESXi

Have you tested getting IP for PC connected on core switch with port tagged vlan 1000?

I had similar issues trying to get vlan working where devices are not getting IPs. I had trunked the wrong port. Lesson learned to not just label the cables and ports but also in the switches too.
You know... I hate that this is right. Apparently I broke my rule of how I use switchports, and forgot about it, but had port descriptions in anyway.

Let me configure THE CORRECT PORT and see if this works.

I feel like a dingus now.

Jun 2, 2021
Ok, I trunked the correct port this time, and still no dice.

Same situation though. It seems like the traffic is stopping between ESXi and the core switch.

Jun 2, 2021
I was able to get this to work.

I guess for some reason, the config wasn't taking place until I was rebooting the switch? I think I'm going to factory reset and check for firmware updates, that might be the resolution.
But this is good to go now