ESXi network setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

voodooFX

Jan 26, 2014
Hi,
I have a question about esxi networking

I have a Synology RS814 with 2x gigabit ports in LAG on a Cisco SG300 Switch.
I have also a single esxi host with 4x gigabit ports.

Using the Synology to export the NFS share to the esxi host, is there a way to take advantage of the (aggregated) 2gigabit speed from the nas?

A VMkernel with 2 adapters in "Route based on IP hash" (and the respective LAG setup on the switch) will work? If the answer is "no because you take advantage only using multiple connections", what if I export 2 NFS shares and I use them at the same time? (from the esxi)

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
A single vmkernel will only use a single path. I don't know if NFS can use multiple paths simultaneously (by using multiple vmkernels).

I'm using NFS on my Synology for ISO files, but for storing VMs I'm using iSCSI. In my setup I'm not too worried about bandwidth and/or redundancy on my setup, but if you want, I can provide steps that would allow you to get a redundant and load balanced iSCSI setup with your Synology.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
A single vmkernel will only use a single path. I don't know if NFS can use multiple paths simultaneously (by using multiple vmkernels).

I'm using NFS on my Synology for ISO files, but for storing VMs I'm using iSCSI. In my setup I'm not too worried about bandwidth and/or redundancy on my setup, but if you want, I can provide steps that would allow you to get a redundant and load balanced iSCSI setup with your Synology.
That would be great. Can you please share how to get a redundant and load balanced iSCSI setup with DSM?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Keep in mind some ISCSI devices do not appreciate the default value of switch ethernet links at every 1000 packets, nor do they appreciate switching the links every 1 packet - for iscsi. It is usually a tradeoff between latency and switching efficiency to find the best round-robin mpio setup for ISCSI with multiple vkernel per port!

Diavuno

Unfortunately I didn't record the numbers, but going from my srw2048 switches to the powerconnect 6248.... I gained 10% or so with a 4 gbe but latency dropped and I gained some iops as well.

Then again the srw is a basic SMB switch. The 6248 is a beastly layer 3 with ISCSI settings/optimization

Dev_Mgr

Sep 20, 2014
Texas
To use multipathing properly, you'd want to give your 2 ports IP addresses in 2 different subnets (e.g. 10.10.0.x /24 and 10.10.1.x /24).

Now you can create either 1 vSwitch with 2 vmkernels, or 2 vSwitches with 1 vmkernel each.

I'll provide info for both options.

1 single vSwitch:
- create the new vSwitch (if you're not using an existing vSwitch)
- attach 2 vmnics
- create a vmkernel with an IP in one of the 2 subnets
- edit the vmkernel properties and go to the nic teaming. Override the default (checkbox) and move one of the vmnics to 'unused'
- create a 2nd vmkernel with an IP in the 2nd subnet
- edit the vmkernel properties and go to the nic teaming. Override the default (checkbox) and move the other vmnic to 'unused'
2 vSwitches: (recommended if you are isolating the 2 subnets on 2 seperate vlans or physical switches)
- create the first vSwitch and attach 1 vmnic
- create a vmkernel in this vSwitch (part of the same wizard as the previous step)
- assign this vmkernel an IP in one of the 2 subnets
- create the second vSwitch and attach the other vmnic
- create a vmkernel in this vSwitch as well
- assign this vmkernel an IP in the other subnet
Optionally: set the MTU on the vSwitch(es) as well as the vmkernels to 9000, if you have switches that can sustain jumbo frame traffic.
If you want, you can test ping from the host to your SAN's iSCSI (LAN) IP addresses, or vice versa if you SSH into your synology.

Now you go to storage adapters and click the option to add an adapter. Select software iSCSI.

Once enabled, go to the properties and under "Network Configuration" add both iSCSI vmkernels.

Then go to the dynamic discovery tab and add 1 of the Synology's IP addresses. Assuming you created an iSCSI volume and set the permissions to allow your server to connect, you should see the volume.

Now you go to the synology target (iSCSI volume) and right click to select "Manage paths". Change the multipathing protocol to Round Robin.

You'll now have to format it under the storage section (I'd highly recommend vmfs 5, unless you absolutely have to have compatiblity with an ESXi 4.x or 3.x host).