ESXi and Bios Settings for Energy/Power

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4ntic0r

Feb 20, 2017
I have read a bit about the topic ESXi and bios settings and often it is mentioned one should put the P States on "OS Controlled" and set the option in the ESXi to balanced or in very rare cases high performance.

In Supermicro Bios, there are settings like HW_ALL, SW_ALL and SW_ANY.

So i think you have to choose one of the SW_ but i dont understand the difference between those two settings?
Which one to choose for a ESXi server?

P-State Coordination
This feature allows the user to change the P-State (Power-Performance State) coordination type. P-State is also known as "SpeedStep" for Intel processors. Select HW_ALL to change the P-State coordination type for hardware components only. Select SW_ALL to change the P-State coordination type for all software installed in the system. Select SW_ANY to change the P-State coordination type for a software program in the system. The options are HW_All, SW_ALL, and SW_ANY.

Connorise

Mar 2, 2017
US. Cambridge
As super micro states :

Select HW ALL to change the P-State coordination type for hardware components only. Select SW ALL to change the P-State coordination type for all software installed in the system. Select SW ANY to change the P-State coordination type for a software program in the system.