ESXI 8 one VM will is not reachable through one vlan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

clcorbin

Feb 15, 2014
I moved a VM (windows 2019 server) from one host to another in my home lab. The lab is running ESXI essentials 8.0 on both servers. The VM has three network interfaces on different vlans (an running layer three switch).

After the move, one of the vlans would not response to ping, while the other three did. They were all using static ips, so I switched the failing one to DHCP and it did get an IP address assigned (DHCP servers running on different vlan and have the DHCP requests forwarded at the switch). That ip address was also a valid IP address on that vlan. But it was still showing no internet connection and I couldn't ping it from my workstation.

I have three other VMs that I also moved that also use those vlans and all three of them work perfectly fine on the troubled vlan from the other VM. I have tried shutting down the VM, deleting the bad interface, rebooting, deleting the network information from the device manager, shutting it back down and then adding a new interface on the troubled vlan. And with no luck.

I know the vswitch is working on the correct vlan (other working VMs), I know the vlan is working (ditto). I know the interface CAN get a valid IP address from the DHCP server and I know that it still won't talk to the network.

Any ideas on the proper way to trouble shoot this? My gut tells me it has something to do with the VM's windows configuration, but my gut has DEFINITELY been wrong before!

Your help is appreciated!

Regards,

Clint

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
On your windows 2019 VM, can you paste the output of these commands after trying outbound pings from your 2019 VM? I would suggest setting it back to the way it was before (static IP with all the same settings as when it worked on the other host)

- route print
- ipconfig /all
- tracert 1.1.1.1
- arp -a

I'll review them and maybe we'll see something. Multi-homed boxes can be tough because you can only have one default gateway.