ESXi 6.5 + NFS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Katfish

Aug 14, 2016
Hello,

I just finished setting up an ESXi 6.5 install with the hopes of leveraging napp-it. I was starting down the path of creating a dedicated vSwitch and portgroup for the NFS traffic. I created the vSwitch, then a port group on switch, and then added a vmkernel NIC to the port group.

This works as expected. In the napp-it guest, I am unable to choose the newly created group for the 2nd NIC. If I remove the vmkernel NIC from the port group, I am then able to select the newly created NFS PG. If I re-add the vmkernel NIC, I get a warning on the guest saying the NIC is part of a non existent network.

It seems that the guest NIC refuses to be on the same PG as a vmkernel NIC.

Any suggestions?

Katfish

Aug 14, 2016
Here are shots of the VM Network, the newly created storage one, and then the drop down selection for the napp-it guest.

VMnetwork.PNG StoragePG.PNG nappit-nic.PNG

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Well your distributed switch it not connected to any physical adapters. As a result your storage PG will not have any connectivity.

Katfish

Aug 14, 2016
I am doing an AIO setup and wasnt planning on sharing the storage externally. Behavior is the same with a physical NIC. Have tried a new guest, symptoms persist.

Ditching the 6.5 install and reverting back to 6.0u2.

nitrobass24

Dec 26, 2010
TX
Then your VMNetwork would need to be on the same vSwitch. Right now your port group is isolated from everything.