ESXI 6.5 - Disappearing usb...I need a ghostbuster?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mouse

Mar 3, 2016
I hope the STH people may help me. I've already, a long time ago, posted in the vmware community without luck
I'm trying to use some smargo or omnikey 3021 to read a smartcard in a ubuntu or debian vm machine. The strange thing is that after the unit was connected, it disappears when booting the vm.
I've done some modification in the vmx file as suggested from a member
usb.generic.allowCCID = "TRUE"
usb.analyzer.enable = "TRUE
But the the vmx file returns unmodified after the boot

any help is great appreciated

BEFORE

AFTER

LOG

LSUSB

markpower28

Apr 9, 2013
Try install a Windows based VM see that works first. Could be driver issue

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
it is a known issue that have existed for over 4+ years.
this may help.
Auto-connecting a USB device to a virtual machine fails with the error: failed: 17 (2000350) | VMware KB

also you can try this:(taken from "Enable USB smartcard inside VMware")
  1. in linux terminal issue lsusb commend to see what the vendor and product id of your smart card reader
  2. Open your .vmx file in a text editor
  3. Add this line, replacing and with the values you found earlier: usb.quirks.device0 = "0x:0x allow" Example: For the Apple device found in step 2, this line is: usb.quirks.device0 = "0x05ac:0x8240 allow"
  4. Save and close the .vmx file.

Reactions: mouse

mouse

Mar 3, 2016
it is a known issue that have existed for over 4+ years.
this may help.
Auto-connecting a USB device to a virtual machine fails with the error: failed: 17 (2000350) | VMware KB

also you can try this:(taken from "Enable USB smartcard inside VMware")
  1. in linux terminal issue lsusb commend to see what the vendor and product id of your smart card reader
  2. Open your .vmx file in a text editor
  3. Add this line, replacing and with the values you found earlier: usb.quirks.device0 = "0x:0x allow" Example: For the Apple device found in step 2, this line is: usb.quirks.device0 = "0x05ac:0x8240 allow"
  4. Save and close the .vmx file.
THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!THANKS!
It works!!!
PS for anyone else...the usb have to be assigned to the VM AFTER the modification of the vmx file