ESXi 5.1 MAC PRO 4,1 - OSX Server and Client VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
We are starting off with my old home MAC PRO 4,1 - this is the Nehalem with dual E5520, 6 of 8 dimm slots populated with 1GB ECC RDIMM w/thermistor (!), 1 velociraptor of 4 hot-swap bays.

We have dual gigabit, no wifi, but bluetooth[might ditch this], and a Geforce GT120. Seems to have a single 1000 watt'ish power supply and darn is it quiet!

Loaded on a USB stick - ESXi 5.1 and we'll start from there.

I will probably boot it back to update and flash it to a 5,1 mac pro so it can use 1333 memory with 6-core lower power Westmere-EP and more ram of course.

Everything just worked as far as install!

Intel 10GBase-T adapter - just works!

LSI M5014 (!!?!?!) Just works! Even told me to press D to disable the battery which is very odd to see on a mac (typically a very graphical boot!) EFI works!

Bluetooth doesn't seem to work but who needs that?

Sound card? Not removable but who cares.

So we are going use to an extender to intercept the power and reroute the SATA port to the LSI card and maybe throw in a few more SSD. This card has the advanced Perfomance key which enables ALL megaraid functions! I am torn between maybe 4 x 4tb re4 SAS drives and maybe 4 ssd for cachecade 2.0 - not sure if I am satisfied - I might add the HP P420/1GB FBWC in place for RIS consistency on the disks.

I'm pretty certain you can boot without a video card based on prior generations capable of this. But we're thinking about running X on esxi to slice and dice a quadro 2000, 4000, 6000 up amongst some vm's :)

Ram? Well you can use any RDIMM quite fine, but with 8 total slots, 2 being gimped (westmere is triple channel) - we're going to have to do 8gb 1333 or 16gb 1066? Hard call!

CPU? We're going to try the famous L5639 - $70 cpu's with 6 cores, 12 threads, 60 watts - serious awesome sauce! Will it work? No idea! Fall back plan is a pair of X5650 but i'd rather use what is already prepped!

Disks? Again i'll fit 8 drives in this bugger! P420/1GB FBWC preferably but will fallback to LSI 9260-8i

Networking? Dual port fiber for that 10gbe times two :)

The PCI-e slots are similar to my DL380 G7 - dual x16 and dual x4 in x16 physical. Kind of not ideal but they had graphics on their minds!

intel/amd/nvidia needs to make a SAS/10gbe nic/and video card in one x16 PCI-e slot! Seriously folks! Can you imagine One giant ecc chunk of ram, one huge nvidia core powering 4 mini-sas ports, 2 displayport, and 4 x 10gbe (or 1 40gbe) ?!?! Someone PLEASE make this!

What have we learned?

1. Anything works fine with ESXi 5.1 on the mac pro. It is cool with the E5520 or definitely cool with newer chips (aka flashing up to 5,1). It is cool with regular PCI-E cards like LSI megaraid [also known as the 3ware 9750 just different firmware!]

2. Intel and Emulex 10gbe cards work fine too!

3. Regular RDIMM works fine! but makes fans roar! :( so I'll have to consider the cost of ram . $80 for 32gb , $330 for 64gb, $900 for 96gb ... Might we doing 32gb based on cheapness!

4. Will update with more information and pictures are we have time! It is really cool to see my $2K computer (many years ago) get a new breath of life and having 20gbe of ethernet to push VNC to OSX server and Client 10.9 should be interesting! I'm guessing I might have to throw a Quadro 2000 or 4000 in and dice it up to get decent performance out of 2D apps. We shall see.

One could pass through the bluetooth (keyboard mouse) and video and sound and use this as a workstation :) but that would be straight up GANGSTA!!

rubylaser

Jan 4, 2013
Michigan, USA
This is awesome. I have (4) Mac Pros of this era sitting at work. Might be time for some new life. I'm really interested in the processor swap.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
I will let you know - the fact that they are taking $70 (QTY 2) for L5639 is awesome! As long as it boots, we're good as the L5639 is microcode supported with ESXi.

Not having to pay for APPLE RAID CARD -> WIN!

Not having to pay for Apple FC card -> WIN

Not having to pay for Apple NIC card (10gbe? Infiniband? do they even have this? WIN!).

It is important to remember that ESXi can run on MAC PRO 3,1 4,1 and 5,1 - and some folks have hacked the 1,1 and 2,1 to work with some hypervisors in some capacity!

Also mac mini can definitely run esxi! And that shiny new Mac Mini PRO that replaces the current MAC PRO will run ESXi!!

Maybe we should have a challenge with Generations (3,1 and older, 4,1 and newer) on how to build the most BADASS MAC PRO esxi server for the least amount of money!!

I'm finding the 4,1 can be had for very little $$ like $750 with dual 5520!

$750 mac pro
$150 CPU upgrade
$80 32gb of ram
$75 Raid controller with cabling to use internal 4 bay
$75 10gbe nic (sfp) or infiniband!
$300 - 8gb/s FC card with 1 8gb 8 port FC switch (no joking !!!)

Now what do we do for storage? Anyone know about those cheap PROMISE VTRAK? They are FC and 16 bay of 3.5" and cheap! They make the P2000/MSA and Powervault look super expensive!

I'd be glad to trade DL380 or DL180 servers for MAC PRO (4,1/5,1) [or imac 27] or 30" HP Monitors ;) Anyone?

I think the best use of MAC PRO is light OSX client VM's, OSX Server for time machine, and running general backups for everyone else.

Otherwise you might as well use a cheaper DL180 or DL380 server.

Tomorrow ! L5639 or bust! I will have to read up on how to flash the bugger to 5,1!

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Very interesting. Just wondering, didn't the 2009 Mac Pro come in UP (with W series processors) and DP forms?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yes! It is an X58 motherboard. I took out the 6 dimms today and threw in 8 UDIMM 4gb (odd huh) and it works perfectly. 4gb ECC UDIMM 1333 generic AV ant brand. no crazy fan noises. RDIMMS out, udimm's in! Popped the dimms right out of the HP Z400 workstation :)

Bad news: The slide in rails connect to the port 4 PCI-E slot . No SAS wire like the MAC 3,1. I can however right up a system to rob power from the motherboard and cd-rom and fan-out to the LSI 9260-8i (M5014) that works awesome!

I connected two SLC drives to use as host cache since i've never used that feature.

Powered it up, (still as 4,1) and installing OSX 10.8 using the HP instructions (hdiutil to convert installer.esd to installer.iso). Boots, disk utility, create 1 partition and then install.

2009 supports the W5590 and X/E5500 series - flashing to 5,1 then requires W56 or X5600 series to boot. SR-IOV yup, faster 1333 ram, yup, sound from hdmi/dp - yup.

Apple can tell from the board-id that it is really a 4,1 but that's irrelevant.

Basically every pc card so far works in the mac! awesome-sauce.

Now which VNC is the fastest over 10gbe? :) for windows? The built in console of esxi?

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
I'm confused. So can you run two processors on it or just 1? X58 is 1P only right?

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
It is a dual socket X58 motherboard. Weird - most people would use the tylersberg 5520 chipset!! the W series are just the super high performance version.

L=low power
E=economy
X=Extreme performance
W=Workstation super fast - the fastest except that weird 2 core/12m cache X series.

X58 is the desktop version of the intel 5520 chipset basically.

No idea why they chose that.

so the bad news :( It is really bad.

Without a virtual video card (quadro/grid) you do not get a Quartz/CI driver, so you get 2D graphics (2560x1600) but no video, no flash , no quicktime video! arghh!!!

installation was a breeze! but man it is a bummer to have only 2D :(

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah one man's junk is another.. 4,1's with a quadro and drives and ssd and ram go for like $1000 used now lol.

idea

May 19, 2011
As soon as VMware announced support for Mac Pros, I began working on a project to build an ESX cluster using 4x Mac Pros to migrate off from our old/unsupported Apple Xserve 1U servers. We used 12 core models with 64GB RAM, additional quad-1Gbe NIC, and additional Fiber Channel HBA for SAN connectivity. Project is almost complete and will host about ~50 Mac OSX Server total.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
Yeah osx is a bitch as far as drivers, but any old 10gbe nic and raid controller works fine.

Plus the price is right they are so damn cheap nowadays! Have you hooked up two power feeds? (ATS switch)?