EPYC 7452 CPU's - Showing Very Slow L3 Cache and RAM in memtest86

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
Is there a reason that L3 cache and RAM would show speeds this slow in memtest86?

I have two of these systems and both are showing the exact same results.

amd.png

Gigabyte G482-Z52 systems
2x EPYC 7452 CPU's
16 DIMMS of DDR4 2933MHz (1 DIMM per channel for each CPU, so should be at full 8 channel memory)

The speeds seem WAY below what they should be.

I've tried playing with the NPS settings in the BIOS with no difference. 1 DIMM, 2, DIMMS, up to 8 DIMMS per socket, also has the same result.

Is it possible memtest86 isn't capable or optimized to test speeds with EPYC systems?

RCS

Jul 27, 2018
FYI - For RAM speeds, sysbench in Ubuntu is showing double the speed (32GB/s read) with only 4 DIMM's installed currently (so dual channel)
It shows approx the same speed for write.

amd2.png

Still don't understand the odd L3 cache speed, but I'm assuming it has something to do with how the NUMA nodes work and share L3 cache.

hmw

Apr 29, 2019
I wouldn’t use memtest to measure cache speeds. Use lmbench or intel MLC or TinyMemBench

For memory throughput - use STREAM

these benchmarks need a lot of reading to see what you’re doing and how to setup properly + interpret results correctly.

codyrawls

Oct 9, 2020
I wouldn’t use memtest to measure cache speeds. Use lmbench or intel MLC or TinyMemBench

For memory throughput - use STREAM 8 ball pool

these benchmarks need a lot of reading to see what you’re doing and how to setup properly + interpret results correctly.
Thank you very much!! Very useful advice
Regards,

Last edited: