Enterprise SSD Shortage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

QueBall

May 28, 2015
So we are building a server for backups. It contains mostly the huge 10TB Seagate SAS drives that recently started to finally ship. (The ones announced last spring but only ever shipped to Amazon/Google/Microsoft Azure)

Parts are on the way, but there is one item on backorder and it's been out of stock since before I ordered everything in October. The Intel DC S3520 solid state drives we were going to use as the boot drive (and likely where the backup software would store it's metadata database too)

So I have been searching all my suppliers and every ETA given has missed over and over and over again. They all say there is a global shortage of enterprise grade flash. I contacted the manufacturers partner rep and he told me they basically just ship everything they can make to fulfill their Tier 1 manufacturer contracts. Says it's been months since any meaningful quantity of enterprise SSD has shipped into the distribution channel.

Looks like I have to go on ebay and get some server pulls if I want drives.
So basically unless you are stripping them out of a Dell / HPE / Lenovo server you are on perpetual backorder.

If it were my personal use I probably would have gone ebay. But it's going to be a unit one of my customers is getting. They will likely just have to accept that if we get an ebay drive pulled from an OEM server it will have no warranty once removed from it's donor system or we could wait another 3 months and hopefully the shortage eases or a few drives trickle into the distributor warehouse and our long backorder time will give us priority over the hundreds of other backorders the distributors system is currently showing.
If I go with an ebay drive I probably will actually go for the higher reliability specs of a S3710. Even if it's used it should be ok.

Anyone in the same boat? Stuck on hold waiting for new drives?

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The price you'll pay on ebay buy a spare or 2 and keep it on hand and warranty it yourself for your customer or sell/include it and give them it to keep on the shelf ??

Reactions: wsuff and StevenDTX

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
As I know I have mentioned in other threads the memory shortage, the is also seeing ssd prices rise as well.
Shortage of chips and increased spot price (and contract also I assume)

2017 could be interesting...

As an aside HP have also called to be some shortages of 960gb RI and 800gb WI ssd now (I need about 240 of them for 2 vSAN installs)

fractal

Jun 7, 2016
How about buying from HP spares?

Though, at their prices, it might be less expensive to buy a 3700..

QueBall

May 28, 2015
Yeah, Amazon 3rd party sellers. Kinda similar to ebay in many ways these days. I'm in Canada so it cuts down on some possibilities as not everyone will ship here and some that do inflate their shipping.

Crazy times. Reminds me of the HDD shortages about 9 years back but it seems worse somehow. Also frustrating they are sending everything to a small set of their best customers no matter how long you have been waiting for a backorder.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Oh... even if I have a slight delay in one location the others are on short lead time... guess being one of those customers has its advantages sometimes even at the expense of others.
Having said that a million+ dollar order I may make is I am sure small change for HP when big orders come in from other companies that have bigger requirements.

Right now although Cisco are good enough to reserve me production slots for me based on need it seems Cisco is having a real issue with supply at the moment, I would say maybe driven by c2000 bug but I am not sure, seems just to be high demand now.

Maybe when I will get my chance to rant shortly when I get my confirmed delivery dates for current orders. Hope not :-|

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
For Canada you can use a reshipper like Home - Cross Border Pickups to ship to the US side and have them bring it across to boarder and ship to you. Should be fairly cheap shipping cost for something the size of an SSD. I have used them a fair bit for the last year and have never had any issues

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
HPE China flagged to be long delays on 960gb RI SAS SSD. (Can check the part number if people care) but I want it official in writing before I go escalate for faster delivery.

They did also say that 800gb MU or WI are available...

I am guessing the 960gb is samsung ?
The others intel ?

I needed 120 drives so official HP is the only way to go for supply I am sure.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Any news on the Great Enterprise SSD Shortage? I am waiting for an Intel P3520 1.2 TB PCIe NVMe but nada available in any distribution channel here in Europe. Product was announced in August 2016. An alternative I am eyeing is a Samsung PM863a 960 GB SATA but I really want the superior I/O of PCIe. Also I am not sure how good their power loss protection is, compared to the supposedly infallible Intel. So, go for a server pull on eBay? Unbelievable.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
HPE sorted me out no worries (as I expected being both a large order and a large corporate customer)
Seems stock is more available not but prices not real fun.

PM863a is a read intensive drive, probably as you say won't compare to a P3520. Solid drive though.
Lots of other options in SAS3 versions that are much closer to NVMe though.... SAS possible ?

Reactions: Stephan

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
From what I have heard NAND pricing is still getting hit. RAM as well. I think we will have several more quarters of price pressure.

Vendors are dealing with allocation scenarios.

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
I only have an IBM M1015 SAS2 reflashed to LSI P19 IT firmware in this machine (currently connected to an LTO5 drive and a LG bluray drive). So SAS2 (6 Gbps) would be possible, but not SAS3 (12 GBps).

The 2 TB version appears available now, but oh my, about 1.000 EUR sans VAT (I run a business). On the other hand I just spent 140 for an Aquaero 6 LT fan controller plus some cables because the Supermicro X11SAT board just won't quit controlling the fans as it pleases. Pretty expensive workstation already anyhow.

Brief update: Just saw that two pieces of the P3520 2 TB were available for €915 from a distributor, ordered one.

Last edited: