Enterprise SSD/HDD price increases :-(

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

odditory

Dec 23, 2010
Material and production costs going up goes directly onto product, not really any shocker.
But i suppose the AI headline gets more clicks than the already extensively covered actual main reasons.
Yep, it's a bit slimy - throw a bunch of unrelated stuff into an article, put "AI" in the headline, and bake it in the oven. SSD and HDD increases have been getting signaled in quarterly investor calls for the past 9 months - the "why's" are nuanced and mostly related to manufacturing overshoot in 2023 - and aren't meaningfully related to "the AI boom". The article author does not provide any evidence or explanation for how AI is supposed to be related. But, mission accomplished because we're here talking about it.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
I believe in Moore's law and expect prices to eventually come down ;-) But in the short term it's a bit unfortunate.

@odditory, if you understand the reasons behind it (i've no reason to trust that article, other than perceived increases, plus some anecdotal data), can you comment on the short term (3-6-9 months) outlook?

It's harder to predict secondary market, but if primary market would reverse direction and come down in price, i expect used enterprise SSD's to follow...

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
But yikes, Xeon 6140 for $30 is only 10% slower... :rolleyes:
At 2.3ghz id be better off with the 6133.

i need a few 2.5ghz and up options, its the buyer paying that price with margin added without any pushback anyhow.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I believe in Moore's law and expect prices to eventually come down ;-)
I think Moore's law stopped applying a long time ago, at least as far as single-core speed and storage is concerned. We have kept doubling processor power every 18-24 months, but most of that is through more cores on a much larger chip.

Actually doubling storage size or speed within the same form factor seems like it's going to take a lot longer than 24 months from now on. It's taken 7 years to go from a 16TB spinning disk to 32TB.

Reactions: is39 and T_Minus

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
Sure, i'm not talking Moore's law literally here; but in general we pay less for same amount of compute or storage with each year; or conversely we can get more compute for the same money. Most of us are in the first group, trying to get higher end gear for fraction of it's original cost.
Spinning storage indeed hit the limit before solid state and each increase seem to take longer; in fact size-wise parity is close or already achieved; it's the prices which differ.
My NAS is already half-SSD slot-wise (but not size-wise ;-)

hmw

Apr 29, 2019

"greedflation" - never fails to be used by every corp every time it can be used :)

Trendforce predicted this many months ago when NAND and DRAM manufacturers cut prices due to a glut and lowered demand. And now that NAND is in short supply and enterprises are going in for larger HDDs, WD and Seagate are making sure they're taking their pound of flesh from the customers for HDDs as well

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
"greedflation" - never fails to be used by every corp every time it can be used :)

Trendforce predicted this many months ago when NAND and DRAM manufacturers cut prices due to a glut and lowered demand. And now that NAND is in short supply and enterprises are going in for larger HDDs, WD and Seagate are making sure they're taking their pound of flesh from the customers for HDDs as well
Well, it's law of supply and demand unfolding for us... hopefully those corporations would increase capacity and have oversupply again :)