1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enterprise SSD for small home server?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by legen, Mar 20, 2017.

1. legen

legen Active Member

Hello,

Im looking for enterprise SSDs for a small all-in-one home server. It runs ZFS for VM datastore for my vms.

I read that using enterprise SSDs (raid 1) instead of a HDD pool + zeus ram would probably be more cost effective (since i have no high performance requirements but want to run sync=always). And that consumer SSDs are not recommended for VM datastore.

But what alternatives are there with Ebay as the main source? On my lookout list i have,
    - Intel S3710
    - Intel S3500

Do you guys have any advice on other enterprise SSDs (300 GB+) than these Intel drives with great bang for the bucks?

Thanks!

2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

S3610 -- more rare but they pop up.

Sandisk Ascend

HGST SAS SSDs are harder to find but awesome part# like HUSML....

3. legen

legen Active Member

Thanks! Checked on ebay and all those are quite expensive compared to the S3500. I might get two of those drives if i cannot find a better deal on an alternative drive.

4. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

They may be right now ... deals don't hang around that's why they're a deal ;) come and go FAST :) Keep an eye out and you'll find them ALL cheap at some point :) :)

5. BackupProphet

BackupProphet Active Member

Micron 500DC! They have almost twice as many iops for 4kb/8kb sync write compared to Intel S3710.

6. legen

legen Active Member

Thanks for the tips! For now there is a deal here on Mx300 525Gb for 146$.,i might start with two of those and if needed expand with the enterprise ssds when I find a good deal

Skickat från min ONEPLUS A3003 via Tapatalk

7. Connorise

Connorise Member

I assume that you are looking for 300+ GB SSD Enterprise grade.
    400GB Solid State Drive SATA Mix Use MLC 6gbps 2.5in Hotplug Drive, S3610 [$387.64]
    This might be a not bad additional option. At least from a price perspective.