Engenius ECS2512FP $300 (offer) - 8x2.5GbE POE++ and 4xSFP+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
ECS2512FP - 2 remaining (originally 4)

After watching it's listing for a couple months, dropping from 650 -> 600, and more recently to 500, on a whim I went ahead and offered $300 and had it accepted within a couple hours. I'd bought one other piece of equipment from them back in July which ended up working out quite well, and got a note from the seller stating appreciation for the repeat 'bidness.

Some further information on the switch:

Engenius more recently introduced the 2510FP (~$500 MSRP), which they're now selling in place of the 2512FP; originally ~$750 (LOL), but eventually dropped to 600, I'm assuming after finally accepting the fact that almost nobody was crazy enough to buy it at that price. Why pay 750 for 8x2.5 when just a little more $ gets you up to 8x10Gbe (even within their own lineup :rolleyes: )?!

Anyway, the 'updated' model is cheaper' but for good reason. Both have a 240w POE budget... but instead of 4 SFP+ ports, you're cut down to 2, and (the much bigger deal IMO) and are limited to POE+ (at least officially anyway... from what I've heard, it'll 'unofficially' support POE++ just like the 2512FP, but I can't validate that, and would rather just stick with 'known' support). With all the Wifi7 APs seemingly all requiring POE++ (zyxel/ruckus/omada/engenius), some newer PTZ floodlight cams and IOT-type devices having burst-y usage similarly, could be problematic if the newer 2510FP doesn't continue to maintain this 'unofficial' .bt support.. Plus, the extra 2 SFP+ ports make this one great for stacking without bandwidth constraining the top of the stack :D

Engenius Cloud Switches:

For those unfamiliar with their switches, unlike engenius' 'cloud' AP's, their switches are fully hybrid, able to be managed both locally (UI and CLI) as well as via their cloud platform at the same time. FW is posted to their website (you know, like it always should be lol), as are the release notes. The local UI is quite responsive thankfully, far cry from some others I've dealt with (esp. cisco's 'small business' line - ugh). Has all the typical "L2+" features one would typically expect (LACP/SNMP/etc), and maybe a few one might not (MVR, DHCP snoop & relay, MAC filtering).

I have 5 of their switches now between parents, in-laws, and home, and have been quite pleased with them so far at least!

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Looks like he dropped the buy-it-now price from the $500 it was listed at a couple days ago to $375 now. Being listed as "New in Box", I was kinda surprised - mine should arrive Monday, and I'll update to confirm here after.

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
Looks like he dropped the buy-it-now price from the $500 it was listed at a couple days ago to $375 now. Being listed as "New in Box", I was kinda surprised - mine should arrive Monday, and I'll update to confirm here after.
Where is the non-POE version at 1/2 the price or less?

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
I have one of those cheap Realtek-based 2.5Gbps PoE++/SFP+ switches from AliExpress solely to run my APs. It seems to be working just fine, but, well, who doesn't like getting a new bit of gear? Someone talk me out of getting one of these to replace it...

Reactions: slidermike

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Where is the non-POE version at 1/2 the price or less?
Doesn't exist, not in Engenius' line-up - the folks they market to are used to paying ~$1k for something like this dinky little brocade/ruckus switch, making them practically a bargain by comparison lol.

And while I love their products, there's no way I could ever justify paying full price for any of them, not for home use anyway... This is the fifth switch of theirs from their ECS line that I've gotten now though, all of them at half price or less, and they've all been quite solid/stable, even with new feature additions coming semi-regularly. I'm pretty dang happy with them :D

I have one of those cheap Realtek-based 2.5Gbps PoE++/SFP+ switches from AliExpress solely to run my APs. It seems to be working just fine, but, well, who doesn't like getting a new bit of gear? Someone talk me out of getting one of these to replace it...
What APs are you running? I still don't have any APs that actually require PoE++, but am looking forward to moving a couple higher bandwidth/power items off the more expensive ECS5512FP and freeing up those ports!

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
What APs are you running? I still don't have any APs that actually require PoE++, but am looking forward to moving a couple higher bandwidth/power items off the more expensive ECS5512FP and freeing up those ports!
I have a pair of EnGenius EWS377v3 APs (actually converted ECW230 units from that other thread). Not that I even have any WiFi devices that even can hit 1Gbps in the first place...

Also, the seller auto-declined my offer of $275.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
the seller auto-declined my offer of $275.
Honestly I'd felt like my $300 offer was likely to be immediately rejected... Managed PoE++ switches are still fairly rare, and finding one with 8x2.5Gb + SFP+ even more so. D-Link has this one thats the same port layout, but PoE+ only:

Netgear with the same config (PoE+ only) runs $500. They also have one that has no SFP/SFP+ uplinks, but only half the 8 ports are rated PoE++ for $490 (MS108TUP). There just isnt a lot out there thats any sort of reasonably prices IMO - sure, theres aliexpress, but even then, ++ is the sticking point as far as I can tell...?

My hope is that eventually there will be 2.5Gb versions of the PoE++ -> USB-C converters on the market - I've seen 60w PD ones, but only at 1Gb so far, and maybe its a pipe dream, but man, the possibilities! Power and 2.5Gb data out to some of these more recent 1L clients would be amazing lol

cybrnook

Oct 25, 2019
Report back if it was nib if you don’t mind. I picked 2 x of the other nib’s up as well. Also a sucker for engenius gear for the past couple years.

Reactions: bvd

cybrnook

Oct 25, 2019
Ooooof, painful. Both of mine also got shipped USPS. Looking at tracking they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can see they are at least in the state and at a local distribution hub to me, so I have faith they should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know if it all checks out if I end up getting mine before you do.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021
Ooooof, painful. Both of mine also got shipped USPS. Looking at tracking they are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I can see they are at least in the state and at a local distribution hub to me, so I have faith they should arrive tomorrow. I'll let you know if it all checks out if I end up getting mine before you do.
Mine isn't NIB, but only way I was able to tell was from some tiny scuffs where the rack ears were mounted. Otherwise, pristine. My guess is he split the listings after selling mine lol

Reactions: cybrnook

cybrnook

Oct 25, 2019
I was wondering the same thing, if they were likely all just one and the same. Half being “like new” and the other half being obviously “used”. I got both of mine in and they have for sure been taken out of the box before and handled. Easiest was to spot that was the “property of lifescan labs” on the back. However my feet appear new, and I’m not seeing any paint scuffs or anything on the side showing they have ever been rack mounted or anything. Still, for $300 these are a great deal even if maybe not %100 new.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's exactly switch I'm looking for!! Thanks for sharing, looks like I missed the deal :D

what kind of power w\no POE device?

cybrnook

Oct 25, 2019
That's exactly switch I'm looking for!! Thanks for sharing, looks like I missed the deal :D

I could have an extra one to sell you for cost. If needed I can plug an empty one into a killawatt and tell you what it reads.

bvd

Jan 2, 2021

It's showing me right at 11w at current w/o anything attached. It's *slightly* louder than the ECS1112FP, seems to have two fans instead of just one - one for the PCB, one pointing at the PSU. I guess with 240w, maybe the PSU needs a bit more love than those with lesser PoE budgets

The UI is also friggin SNAPPY!! I've gotten to the point with customer switches where I don't even touch their UI anymore if I can help it just due to how $#!& their UI usually ends up being, with simple browsing pages taking sometimes 20 seconds or more - this feels more like it's almost localhost :eek:

How bad does it have to be, that something as mundane as a functional interface is sufficient for praise ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ - here's an image capture, in case anyone else that's shared in my GUI-misery would like to marvel in wonder with me :cool:

bvd-2512fp.gif

@Dave Corder in other news, it seems all the ECS switches are supported by engenius' fancy new 'fit controller' system - I got it running in a VM on my workstation, and they all seem to link up without issue :D

I imagine if we wanted to 'convert' our ECW230/EWS377 or ECW220/EWS357 to their "-FIT" equivalents, we'd then have them all manageable in one place... and via a UI that's actually seeing functionality improvements :cool:

fit-vm.png

attached-switchez.png

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
@Dave Corder in other news, it seems all the ECS switches are supported by engenius' fancy new 'fit controller' system - I got it running in a VM on my workstation, and they all seem to link up without issue :D

I imagine if we wanted to 'convert' our ECW230/EWS377 or ECW220/EWS357 to their "-FIT" equivalents, we'd then have them all manageable in one place... and via a UI that's actually seeing functionality improvements :cool:
Well now, that's an interesting idea...I do see that the EWS377-FIT firmware is available for download....

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Well now, that's an interesting idea...I do see that the EWS377-FIT firmware is available for download....
*shakes fist at bvd*

Neither of the two outdoor APs I have, have -FIT variants, so I just bought an EWS850-AP on eBay, in the hopes I can convert it to an EWS850-FIT...

Sigh. At least today was payday, I guess...

cybrnook

Oct 25, 2019
I'm a few steps behind, didn't realize how much fun you guys are having in here.. I've been missing out.

I was intrigued that you were running Fit Dashboard in a VM, as I have been reluctantly using the EnGenius cloud up until now. So I spun up a Ubuntu VM and followed the link in the other thread to do the install via the script pulling down docker. That went pretty pain free. Removing my switches from the cloud and readopting them into the VM was a bit harder than I had hoped for. 2 x factory resets of switches later via serial port I realized that I could just manually input my local controllers IP directly in the switches themselves. That was the key for me as I was running out of ideas waiting for the VM controller to auto magically discover the switches even though I had added the serials into inventory and clicked the pairing button. Manually setting the IP however had me up and running within minutes. So got my 5512FP, 2528FP and one of the new 2512FP's adopted.

Now that I got this setup locally, I am thinking about switching back from my Unifi AP's over to the 377-FIT's I got, but collecting dust.