Energy Efficiency and what's coming

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
We're still using (and loving) our 55" Panasonic Plasma but it's high energy usage, and in about 15 months we're looking to replace it with a smaller probably 32-42" sized TV that has great picture quality, but is the most energy efficient, and must work in daylight... or rather better than a plasma. We're also not looking for a vizo or low-end, prefer the most 'well made' TV as well. (Well made, low power, good quality, etc.. lots to ask I know.)

- Is there any new TV tech coming out that will change efficiency in the next 1-2 years?

I'm also going to build the kids a low-power HTPC to store and watch some movies, cartoons, play some emulators, etc, from and eliminate 100s of DVDs. So that brings the next request...

- What's the lowest power cpu/mobo or SOC setup that can play h.265 (I want file size minimal, going 100% SSD) at 1080p

- I think I can output sound over one of those mini-USB DACs (usb power) so don't need onboard sound.

- If going SOC and I power with 12v only -- how do I power the SSDs?

- Again if I power SOC with 12v only, is there 'enough' of a low-end video card that requires no external power, but will still work with 12v only on the SOC mobo?

- Would a 2-Core Xeon-D be sufficient? C2000? C3000?

The entire goal here is that the kids TV usage (and any I/wife) will be run off 12v and re-charged by solar. I'll share more as I start testing, and messing around with a panel or two and some batteries I have, this is for a much larger future project, but I want to start playing and learning about 12v and how much consumption I can figure from the kids using the TV :) (which they use minimal as-is).

StammesOpfer

Mar 15, 2016
OLED TV might be a good place to look but they are $$.

7th gen intel CPUs with integrated graphics have hardware h.265 decode and you can get audio via HDMI or it will probably have integrated audio as well. Then use a DC-DC PicoPSU that takes 12v and will give you all the normal pc connectors that you need.

I don't think any of the Raspberry Pi and similar boards support h265 yet. Have to compare power draw but the nVidia Shield TV might work for you too. Android box that has h265, HDR, 4k and can run a plex server as well as client. If you do this then get the Pro cause metadata has to live in onboard storage and that can get big with plex.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
No idea if they'll tick all your boxes, but I would give Vizio another look if you haven't checked out their lineup from recent years. Their 4K TVs are generally well reviewed and the three tiers tend to be priced very aggressively against comparable TVs from other brands.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
No idea if they'll tick all your boxes, but I would give Vizio another look if you haven't checked out their lineup from recent years. Their 4K TVs are generally well reviewed and the three tiers tend to be priced very aggressively against comparable TVs from other brands.
I have a Vizio m60-c3 and like it a lot. BIL bought two of the Vizio D65 TVs; those are not as nice, but cheap. The Samsungs I have seen have local dimming, but they are still edge lit, so you get a bright vertical bar when mixing dark and light.

@T_Minus OLED should be your target if you want better than plasma PQ. Are you trying to do local storage or just need a playback device?