EliteDesk Mini - 35w vs. 65w Variant Idle Power Draw, and i3 vs. i5 vs. i7?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
TL;DR:
1. Anyone have numbers on idle power draw of 65w EliteDesk Mini variants? There seem to be differences other than dropping in a higher-TDP CPU, and want to know whether those could cause any difference in power draw.
2. How do the i5s compare to their i7 counterparts (or even i3s) in terms of idle power consumption?

Hello all,

I'm looking to add some extra Proxmox nodes to my existing one to play with clustering, and am looking for as low of power consumption as possible while still maintaining decent performance.

My questions: I have been unable to find any real-world numbers from anyone running the 65w variants of any generation of the EliteDesk Mini PCs (outside of the "less than 8w" number that HP gives for all of them, which, based on the measurements the STH articles give, is... optimistic). I've also not been able to find any good apples-to-apples comparisons of i3 vs. i5 vs. i7 (primarily interested in i5 vs. i7) idle power consumption numbers.

From what I've been able to find, it sounds like there may be some difference in the 65w builds vs. the 35w builds outside of just dropping in a different processor (some seller had a listing of "barebone" ones where the CPUs had been stripped, and they did not include power supplies, and they said they could send a 65w variant if requested - this makes me think there are differences in cooling, and possibly other areas).

Lastly, the only difference between the T and non-T variant CPUs is their maximum power draw, correct? Idle numbers are identical?

So, do all versions within a generation (35w vs. 65w, and i3 vs. i5 vs. i7) all pull the same amount while idle, or are there some sizeable differences?

Yes, I understand that these only pull a very small amount of power (based on the 35w numbers I've seen), but want to be sure there isn't a sizeable % difference between the numbers I've seen and the 65w or the i7 variant numbers.

Thank you

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
To answer my own question (at least of the 35w vs 65w), I got my hands on a couple of HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Mini 65w TDP variants with i5-7600 (non-T, but that shouldn't matter for idle, from what I've read).

With a new install of Proxmox (no VMs yet), only a single 2.5in SSD (WD Blue 3D 1TB), power, and network connected, it is idling between 7w and 9w (mostly at 7w, but spikes up to 9w every few seconds). Once the NVMe drives arrive and I've got some VMs on here, if I remember, I'll post an update.

EDIT: Still working on getting services set up (mainly staging them on my primary server, which isn't one of these EliteDesk minis). Also got an SK Hynix Gold P31 m.2 drive in there now, and currently have 3 mostly-idle VMs on there (consistently 1% cpu usage, with a very occasional peak up to 4%). Usage bounces between 11w and 14w, with a periodic jump up to 16.5w. Very happy with the idle usage - seems to be fairly close to what STH measured on the 35w variant. Good amount of performance headroom with this CPU, for the same/similar idle usage.

Under load (Minecraft server), I was seeing it running around 50-60w if I recall correctly (might've been up to 65 or 70w).

Last edited: